• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2075 - back to basics...?

Gary Nelson

I have been running my Eheim 2075 for almost 9 months now and I would like to get a few Maintenance/tips... back to basics really. When I first installed the filter it was just setup and I have been cleaning as i think is correct, but I really have no idea what everything does!

Being fairly new to this hobby, whenever I do filter maintenance cleaning I am always very worried I may do something wrong and kill beneficial bacterias! My clean consists of a fortnightly white pad change, rinse the blue pad in old tank water at the same time, renew carbon every 4 weeks and remove & rinse all the media trays in old tank water, does this sound about right?

Also if any other members using the same 2075 filter, how do you have the media laid out, i,e where do you place carbon/purigen etc? I am just running mine as per box/manufacturer photo's.

When I say back to basics am I right in assuming that the bacteria live on the 2 different types of bio media and not on the blue pad?

If anyone has any help and advice or better layout suggestions, that would be great :thumbup:

You have an exemplary maintenance regime already.

The bacteria live all over the filter, up the pipes on the glass in the gravel; they just live in higher concentration on the bio media. A large amount still live in the sponge.

Purigen and carbon can go wherever they fit. Sponge before biomedia before floss.

You could also add silicone spray to the impeller and seals; and using a pipe brush to clean the pipes.

I clean my filters out about once every 3 or 4 sometimes 6 months. Do what works for you but many people let their canisters run a long time between cleans - I know of one person who has perfect stats on a filter that hasn't been opened in over 2 years.

Thanks for that, I forgot to mention, pipe cleans are done every 5-6wks.

I also get very concerned that when I do have all the media trays out and rinsing, that bacteria would die off quickly open to the air? So after about 20 minutes or so, I begin to flap! my Mrs recons I am like a Mad Scientist! :geek:

How long can bacteria survive if opened up to the elements?

Not sure. Just have a bucket of tank water handy to keep it in while you do your cleaning.

I guess it would be fine for some time as long as it stays damp. People post mature media to each other to help cycle new tanks.

what your doing sounds right on the mark.

Similar to my maine regime.

the Silicons spray is good as it prolongs the life of seals etc.

Andyh

Back