• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2227 Substrat Question

Neophyte

Seedling
Hi All,

Just won an auction on Ebay for a used Eheim 2227 :D

It comes complete with used substrat media. From what I've read on the Eheim web site the substrat can be washed & re-used several times 8) Which is useful because it seems sooo expensive. Anyhow, the previous user has used the filter on a marine setup, I'll be using it on a fresh water setup.

Depending on how old the media is, I was thinking of giving the media a good wash, then, run the filter for about a week on a water tank containing nothing but fresh water - changing it daily - to "clean" the media further. Then, another wash & connect it to my tank.

Will that be ok :?: , or should I fork out £40 for 4kilo of fresh Substrat Pro media :(

TIA

Being a mega cheapskate, I'd go with the original plan and use the 40 quid to buy a couple bottles of nice French summer white wine such as Puilly Fume.

Certainly plants don't like sodium salt, but as long as you can get leach this out by soaking or even better, by boiling, there is nothing else that can harm the tank. Really, the only thing to be concerned with are pathogens, but that's true with any type of equipment transfer from one tank to another.

Cheers,

I would have thought there was less to no concern about pathogens being transfered from a marine tank to fresh water!

Your washing plan sounds very thorough, I would go for it.

Mark

Cheers Peeps,

I'd thought about boiling the media, but was a bit worried it might destroy it ?

Think I'll give a few soaks in hot water before doing the daily water cycling with the water tank.

Oh, & save up for some new media in a month or two, funds are low thanks to holidays ;)

vauxhallmark said:
I would have thought there was less to no concern about pathogens being transfered from a marine tank to fresh water!
Well I'm not so sure about this at all. For example, the Lymphocystivirus species lives in both fresh and marine environment and appears to be impervious to salinity variation. The nitrifying bacteria in the filter media also appear to be impervious to salinity since they function in exactly the same way in both types of environments.

Neophyte said:
I'd thought about boiling the media, but was a bit worried it might destroy it ?
This media is made of sintered glass so I doubt that water at 100C would destroy it but you might try a handful in boiling water to see if this is true. Boiling temperatures is the only sure way of eliminating pathogens so if you're going to do it you ought to do it right. I guess it depends on how paranoid you are... :crazy:

Cheers,

Back