• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2324 vs JBL CristalProfi EL500 vs TetraTec EX1200

Superman

Ladies & Gentlemen...

About time I invested in an external filter and have two that I'm interested in...

JBL CristalProfi EL500
After this month's PFK good gear guide this looks good getting all the filter material.
Pros: It has all the filter media with it, nice pipework :rolleyes:
Cons: No heater

Eheim 2324
Everyone seems to have an Eheim so can't be bad
Pros: Trusted make, loads of people have them, internal heater (big plus tbh)
Cons: No filter media

I would appreciate any views on either of these.
In addition, I would need to steer/pointers on the media I'd need for the Eheim.

I'm looking to order tonight so would appreciate a speedy reply.

Re: External Filter: Eheim 2324 vs JBL CristalProfi EL500

Hi mate, i've had both and the Eheim is the winner IMO, it just "works" if you know what i mean and spares are readily available should you ever need them. Mine is packed full of ceramic rings, tetra bioballs and filter floss that i change and discard regularly.
HTH

Dan Crawford said:
Hi mate, i've had both and the Eheim is the winner IMO, it just "works" if you know what i mean and spares are readily available should you ever need them. Mine is packed full of ceramic rings, tetra bioballs and filter floss that i change and discard regularly.
HTH

Thanks Dan. I was always on the side of the Eheim.

Looking at AE, they do a set of filter media for the 2324...
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... cts_id=749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that something which I should be looking at getting or make up the media components myself. If so which bits would you recommend me buying?

Hi,
Our standard suggestion for a high light tank is 10X the tank volume per hour. Filters never even come close to their rated throughput. Many of the algae problems in a high light tank can be traced directly to poor flow and subsequent poor nutrient/CO2 distribution.

Cheers,

George Farmer recommended this for my tank:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TETRATEC-EX1200-E ... dZViewItem

Yours is slightly bigger so I would suggest would be ideal for you too ;)
Worth a look and its cheaper than any Eheim.

Just saw this new post by daniel on his journal, thought I would put it his comment for your reference.

daniel19831123 said:
Just bought a tetra tex 1200 for this tank! Got it today and was absolutely speechless. This is one of the best design external filter I've ever seen. Sturdy built, elegantly designed, came complete with filter media and last but not least a 2 feet long spray bar! The control on the inlet and outlet tube was so much easier to flick compared to those of eheim and fluval. The filter volume is massive too!

Thanks once again, really value people's input.

Unfortunatley, I wasn't able to shop last night as was busy in the pub watching Hull City get to the play off finals!! :D

I'm going to take some time to have a look at external filters on Saturday afternoon / evening as I'm busy for the next few nights.

That Tetratec EX1200 looks good, I'll have more of a read on Saturday (or later today at work when the boss isn't around :twisted: )

Tetratec range is very good, and some say (I haven't confirmed this yet) that the flow they state, ie 1200lph, is with media where as most manufacturers LPH claims are without media.

I've emailed Tetra to see what they say about this :)

Did I read somewhere that Tetratec's are having problems with leaking seals and some have needed to be returned for a replacement? Might be worth buying from a reputable source just in case you need to return it, and not a cheapie off fleabay.

James

I think this was last year sometime. I believe it was the tank hang over connectors between the inlet/outlet and the hosing. Might of been a dodgy batch.

That sounds like it. Some people have brought them cheap on fleabay and then had problems trying to get them returned. Hence why I don't buy items like this of fleabay as they are often seconds or returns being sold as new.

James

I think the Tetratec EX1200 will be one I buy. Just want to go home to make sure it'll fit in my standard Juwel Vision 180 cabinet.

At 26cm length, 25cm width 50cm height it might be a squeeze. Although thinking of it, my tank is 92cm wide so if there's about an equal three bits to it (two cupboards and one shelf) then thats ~30cm width for each.

I normally don't buy large items from ebay incase of problems and would rather buy from a decent aquarist dealer.

EX1200 Dimensions are 26/25/50cm l/w/h it fits in my 180 stand with a bit of a squeeze to hook up the pipes, external co2 reactor and heater.

Superman said:
What wattage in-line heater would be best?
I guess I'll have to run both the internal and external for a while?
200w should be enough! I never removed my internal from my tank, but if you plan to do so run them in parallel for 2/3 weeks until your external gets populated with bacteria.

Re : heater

The tetratec uses 16mm internal tubing so go for the external heater that fits otherwise you will experiance a drop in flow. I believe this is the 300w hydor.

Back