• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2324 vs JBL CristalProfi EL500 vs TetraTec EX1200

milla said:
Re : heater

The tetratec uses 16mm internal tubing so go for the external heater that fits otherwise you will experiance a drop in flow. I believe this is the 300w hydor.

Yes, the 200w has 12/16mm tubing and the 300w has 16/22mm tubing. The tubing on the EX1200 is 16/22mm as far as I'm aware (the EX600 and 700 have 12/16mm tubing).

I have a JBL CrystalProfi 250 and love it. NIce low price on ZooPlus, really big canister volume, high quality materials and build quality and it came fully loaded with media, although I did swap one basket of sponges for some sintered glass tubes and sausages from my old external (the entire quantity of biological media from my old Sicce Genio 2 fitted into 1 basket in the JBL) with a thing layer of floss. As standard these filters come with plastic bioballs for the sediment removal area, then a basket full of porous ceramic tubes, then a load of coarse and fine sponge and finally a layer of polypad style filter pad. The claim that they come with a plastic lily pip is no longer true however, they now come with a jet nozzle (as well as a spray bar) instead. I emailed them though to complain as they still show the lily pipe on their website, and they sent me one. So good customer service as well. They also run pretty much silently (I can't hear mine anyway). What originally sold it to me though was the 4 years manufacturers warranty.

Oh and on the subject of heaters, I have a Rena Smart heater set up as the intake on my filter, and so far it is working very efficiently on the few cool days we have had lately. It's less noticeable than a normal intake strainer to my eyes.

Ade

You just push the long end of the shepards crook intake pipe down into the heater through a hole in the top of it instead of using an intake strainer for 12mm piping, the heater has an intake strainer on the end of it. I think for larger filter pipes (16mm and up) you need to buy the Rena Smart Heater connection kit but it could be that you don't, as the first part of the cavity up the middle of the heater is larger in diameter than it is further down so reversing the shephards crook intake pip and putting the short end of it into the heater should work just as well (I have done this with mine anyway even though I have 12mm pipework as I didn't want all that plastic pipe in contact with the heater).

Basically it heats in 2 places using this method, it heats the water going into the filter and the water on the outside of the heater, so it is very efficient and spreads the heated water around the tank nicely. The one thing I will say though is that they are a lot longer than the equivelent wattage of glass tube type heater so you need enough depth for them, but are a nice black color which vanishes behind plants far more nicely than say green inlets or glass heaters.

Ade

milla said:
EX1200 Dimensions are 26/25/50cm l/w/h it fits in my 180 stand with a bit of a squeeze to hook up the pipes, external co2 reactor and heater.

Is that a rio 180 stand or vision 180 stand?

Have a vision 180 and thinking about getting one of these filters- seems the best value for money for the volume and flow rate, good reviews and meant to be quiet. Don't think it will fit in the side cabinets but should squeeze into the central space as that is 25.5cm wide. Have to drill some holes in the back for the tubing though.

Bear in mind newer Rio 180 cabinets have a shelf between two smaller cabinets rather than just two larger cabinets. Make sure you know which one you have!!! I think I'd only just fit my Ehiem 2128 into the cabinets on mine.

Re: External Filter: Eheim 2324 vs JBL CristalProfi EL500

SteveUK said:
Tetratec range is very good, and some say (I haven't confirmed this yet) that the flow they state, ie 1200lph, is with media where as most manufacturers LPH claims are without media.

I've emailed Tetra to see what they say about this :)

Well, I haven't checked my email in the last week :rolleyes: but did today and found this:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email,

The figure quoted is a maximum without media inserted. With clean media there should be little impact on the flow rate, as the media clogs, then the flow rate will decline. Obviously the condition of the pipes will also impact on flowrate.

Pleased to hear you are happy with your EX filter – Fluval – Bah!!!!

I hope this has been of help

Yours sincerely and Happy Fishkeeping!

Tetra Club Help Desk

Oh well. It was nice to think it was with media.

I've got the new style!!!!

I have a funny feeling that its going to be too big. I believe a Fluval 405 will fit in. I would go for an Ehiem 2028 but it only has a 6 litre media capacity and i only intend to use biological filter media. The 405 has an 8 litre capacity and the tetra tec has a 12 litre capacity.

Decisions decisions!!!!!

I have the Rio 125 and an EX1200, the middle shelf came out for the EX. I must say I'm thouroughly happy with the tetratec. Big volume of media and cheap and had every attachment I wanted. The only thing is that the end cap of the spraybar comes off. I need to silicone it in I think...

Back