• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Eheim Aquacompact Review

tcs261

Seedling
Just thought I'd write a quick review for this filter since I could find very little information on it.
The Eheim Aquacompact is something of a hybrid between a hang on back filter and a fully fledged canister. The filter is formed of two main components, the internal element which contains the pump and a separate canister which hangs off the back. I chose it as a replacement for the internal filter in my 24 litrenano mostly due to the limited space around the tank
ah0b.jpg
Setting Up
The filter was reasonably easy to set up despite the rather basic instructions. The canister is supplied with three types of media: a course filter sponge, Eheim'sSubstrat Pro for biological filtration and a fine filter sponge. There is also a prefilter sponge in the intake of the pump unit which is great for shrimp tanks. I was pleased to see that there was sufficient biological media to completely fill the container unlike my Fluval U2 which barely provided enough to fill half of the filter compartment.
The filter comes with two sturdy hoses connecting the pump unit to the canister which can be cut to the required length which in my case was enough to allow the canister to sit alongside the tank. It is also possible for the hoses to support the weight of the canister and have it hanging off the back. The hoses are a nice tight fit on the canister and pump and are further held in place with clamps (basically reusable cable ties).
The filter requires no priming, simply plug it in and the pump fills the canister.
The pump output comes with several attachments including an elbow joint and spraybar.
Performance
Compared to my previous internal filter the Aquacompact is great. The increased flow and biological media has led to a noticeable improvement in water quality. While previously any movement of plants in the tank would lead to significant clouding due to the Tropica substrate the Aquacompact clears any dirt rapidly.
Appearance
While some might find the internal pump rather unsightly, it is significantly less intrusive than most internal and sponge filters and could be pretty well hidden with suitable planting. My original plan was for the canister to hang off the back of the tank however I was slightly worried about any leaks and the amount of wiring I have. Instead I have the filter sitting to one side of the tank.
Cleaning
Due to the large amount of filter media and the prefilter sponge on the intake I don't think this will need regular cleaning however the lack of any container for the biological media means that accessing the bottom sponge will probably be quite awkward.
Overall
Overall I'm very happy with the Aquacompact. The build quality is as good as you would expect from Eheim and it offers a suitable alternative to canister filters for those with a lack of space.

That's very interesting. How big is the pump element in the tank? Also do you use an air stone or rely on aeration from the drip bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back