• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Classic Noise - New Impeller

I see several nick's/chip's missing from the impeller.
A replacement impeller +shaft+ bushing's (comes with shaft) would be my path.
They are sat on the side. Just wondering what to do about this rubber bushings. Will try and get the bottom one out later today

Hemostat's can grab hold of it maybe, or small needle nose plier's.
It's gotta come out so new one can be placed on the end of the new impeller shaft and then seated in the well.

I replaced the impeller back in January 2017 after finally getting the rubber bushing out but it has started to get noisier and noisier. It is now much louder from the fridge and noticeable from several meters away.
I found another thread on here somewhere which suggested taking the head off and just holding it in a bucket to rule out air getting into the system. When I did this it was still really noisy so I am guessing the only real option is to replace the impeller again?

It has never been silent like people claim the classic are so I am wondering if there is something not quite right with the head in the first place? Other than replacing the impeller is there anything else to try? I am wondering whether something got damaged int the 20 years it was sat around not being used. Seriously contemplating just getting a new filter.....

How about a new pump head? They're around £60 so still a lot cheaper than a new filter.

Might also be worth trying some silicone grease on the magnet? It's worked wonders for me on some noisy powerheads and filters.

How about a new pump head? They're around £60 so still a lot cheaper than a new filter.

Might also be worth trying some silicone grease on the magnet? It's worked wonders for me on some noisy powerheads and filters.
Must admit I was looking at the Oase Biomaster to get the heater and pre-filter out the tank.

I did apply some vasoline to impeller shaft and magnet with no noticeable improvement.

Might have a look at a new pump head. What might be wrong in the head that would cause noise?

Must admit I was looking at the Oase Biomaster to get the heater and pre-filter out the tank.

I did apply some vasoline to impeller shaft and magnet with no noticeable improvement.

Might have a look at a new pump head. What might be wrong in the head that would cause noise?

Silicone grease tends to be a bit thicker and "clingier" so I'd perhaps give it a shot.

I can only speculate about what's up with the head but if it's an old filter it could just be wear or an actual fault of some sort. Eheim are excellent in terms of reliability, but there are always exceptions... i.e. didn't the old 2075 have issues with the head leaking?

I'd rather have the 2217 over an Oase. But if you want an upgrade, the Aquael filters look amazing and have pre-filters too. Personally, I like the ease of an in tank pre-filter that I can just remove to clean without even opening the cabinet!

I replaced the impeller back in January 2017 after finally getting the rubber bushing out but it has started to get noisier and noisier. It is now much louder from the fridge and noticeable from several meters away.
I found another thread on here somewhere which suggested taking the head off and just holding it in a bucket to rule out air getting into the system. When I did this it was still really noisy so I am guessing the only real option is to replace the impeller again?

It has never been silent like people claim the classic are so I am wondering if there is something not quite right with the head in the first place? Other than replacing the impeller is there anything else to try? I am wondering whether something got damaged int the 20 years it was sat around not being used. Seriously contemplating just getting a new filter.....
I commented in your other thread about my noisy 2217. After less than a year it was as noisy as you describe so I replaced the impeller, shaft and rubber bushes. Less than a year later it's really noisy again. I tried contacting Eheim via email but never heard anything back. I'm less than impressed with it. I'll be watching what you do with interest.

If Vaseline gets onto the bushes it may corrode them, depending on what kind of synthetic rubber etc they are made if.
Silicone grease, as Millns84 suggested is safe.
The pump head doesn't have any moving parts, so unlikely to be the source of the noise, but you could run it with the impeller removed to make sure. Only for a few seconds though, as without the water flow it could overheat if you leave it running.

My new 2213 is noisy as well. The supplier has replaced the impeller but it’s still not as quiet as the Eheims used to be. I measured the impeller shaft with a micrometer and it measures 2.48 mm which may be part of the problem but I suspect Eheim are just making poor quality impellers. Not much you can do about that. I have tried loading the impeller shaft with silicone grease and this does help but it doesn’t stop the noise completely. I would really like to know definitively why modern Eheim Classics are so noisy so I may at some point see if I can find a way to improve the fit of the impeller on the shaft.

Thinking about my old Eheim Classic from over 20 years ago I’m wondering if it had a thin plastic washer that slipped onto the impeller shaft to control end float. Does anyone else recall this or am I imagining things! :bored:

Bit tricky making such a small washer but I could maybe give it a try.

Back