• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim classic thermofilter

GraemeVW

I'm deciding what filter to get for my new tank and have seen a couple of these second hand.
They interest me as I've been looking at new eheim classics.
I appreciate the thermo versions were discontinued a long time ago, but how long ago? How old are the second hand ones that come up? We're they any good?
Would really like a 2317 but not sure it's worth me trying to find one, buying taps, seals, maybe impeller etc.
Don't think I have enough cupboard height for a 2017 and a hydor, unless I put it on the inlet.

They were very good and reliable back in the day, i had one for years now replaced with the newer Ehiem proffesional thermofilter, issue is how much life is left in a second hand unit, proberly worth a gamble ?

That's what I'm wondering.
Even with new seals, impeller etc, it's still an old filter.
Add in the price of taps to make it easy to live with and it starts to look less appealing.
I really don't trust the microswitch buttons and led displays on later eheim thermofilters though.

If I can find a 2315 or 2317 cheap enough I might try one though.
Shame they aren't still made!

The classics adjustment knob looks reliable. I doubt the element will fail unless run dry, so if it still works now and it's looked after, I don't see why it would fail.

Hi all,
I appreciate the thermo versions were discontinued a long time ago, but how long ago? How old are the second hand ones that come up? We're they any good?
I started <"re-using an Eheim 2313 recently">, I bought it second-hand about ten years ago, but it is mechanically fine. I'm still not entirely sure the heating element works, it is in the lab. at work, which is always really hot.

cheers Darrel

They don't seem all that common. I assume they were either expensive, loads broke or they didn't sell them for long.

They don't seem all that common. I assume they were either expensive, loads broke or they didn't sell them for long.
They were expensive, not sure what you mean by "microswitch buttons" theres nothing to work on the new "proffesional" filters, it came preset at 24 C and i just left it at that, the led feature just tells you what present temperature is, quite usefull really, if the second hand one is not cheap i'd definetly relook into the newer Ehiem models.

The buttons to set the temperature will be surface mount microswitches on the display pcb. I avoid all electronics with them as they are notorious for failure.
I haven't seen what all the thermofilters are like though, it may only be the professional 3 that had those buttons.

😂 yep.
I don't mind progress, but I like things to last. Simple is normally better.

The classic thermofilters seem pretty ideal to me. Or if aquael added a heater.
I've seen it said before, but no one seems to make the perfect filter and I don't know why!

Maybe I'll make something.

Back