• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Eheim Ecco Canister - better media ?

george29

Hi,

We are just setting up a new planted tank with an Eheim Ecco 2034 canister filter which comes with a course foam pre filter and two trays, one full of Eheims own Mech pro , little spiral plastic tubes and the other with Substrat pro, small beads of sintered glass followed by a thin pad floss type filter, with optional thin carbon pad filter.

Know its six of one and half a dozen of the other, but any suggestions if these can be improved or just about as good as anything ?

Edvet

In a wel planted tank the plants and substrate willl contail a lot of helpfull bacteria making the filter media less important. Keeping a healthy flow through the filter ( mostly use little media) is the best, to much media will produce dead spots. In unplanten heavily stocked tanks the filter and media become more important.

Zeus.

Fertz Calc Meister
Second what Edvert says :thumbup:

Course and medium filter and a bit of ceramic is all I have in my FX6 for my 500L high tech tank ie. Its not rammed with media to keep the output good

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-29_22-7-41.png
    upload_2018-9-29_22-7-41.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 76

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Second what Edvet
Same for me.
Eheim Ecco 2034 canister filter which comes with a course foam pre filter and two trays, one full of Eheims own Mech pro , little spiral plastic tubes and the other with Substrat pro, small beads of sintered glass
Keep the coarse foam pre-filter (assuming it is the ugly, <"but effective one">, on the intake?) and the <"coco-pops">, chuck out everything else, and don't replace them with anything.

I'm pretty lazy, and I keep very heavily planted tanks, so I can hide the pre-filter in the tank, and just clean it up every couple of weeks. This means that I only need to open the filter very occasionally. I always have an intake pre-filter, often a <"fairly substantial"> PPI10 or PPI20 foam block.

cheers Darrel

george29

Hi,

Thanks all, glad I put the question as plenty of interesting advice there , partic not overfilling the trays and having a pre filter on the intake, will help save having to open the canister so often. :happy:

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
partic not overfilling the trays and having a pre filter on the intake, will help save having to open the canister so often
I think part of the problem is the term "filter", I'd like to separate the the processes of mechanical and biological filtration. In some ways nitrification is a better term than "biological filtration", because it makes it more apparent that you just want dissolved oxygen and ammonia.

NH3 + CO2 + 1.5 O2 → NO2- + CO2 + 0.5 O2 → NO3-

When I originally wrote <"aeration and ....> it hadn't actually occurred to me that people would run a canister filter without a pre-filter, and some of the main criticisms were that having a pre-filter stopped the canister acting as a syphon, and that having too much oxygen in the filter was a bad thing, as it interfered with anaerobic denitrifiction.

cheers Darrel

Dadofthree

Second what Edvert says :thumbup:

Course and medium filter and a bit of ceramic is all I have in my FX6 for my 500L high tech tank ie. Its not rammed with media to keep the output good
I am so sorry to jump in on this thread but zeus do you run just the fx6 on your tank