• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Ecco Canister - better media ?

george29

Hi,

We are just setting up a new planted tank with an Eheim Ecco 2034 canister filter which comes with a course foam pre filter and two trays, one full of Eheims own Mech pro , little spiral plastic tubes and the other with Substrat pro, small beads of sintered glass followed by a thin pad floss type filter, with optional thin carbon pad filter.

Know its six of one and half a dozen of the other, but any suggestions if these can be improved or just about as good as anything ?

In a wel planted tank the plants and substrate willl contail a lot of helpfull bacteria making the filter media less important. Keeping a healthy flow through the filter ( mostly use little media) is the best, to much media will produce dead spots. In unplanten heavily stocked tanks the filter and media become more important.

Second what Edvert says :thumbup:

Course and medium filter and a bit of ceramic is all I have in my FX6 for my 500L high tech tank ie. Its not rammed with media to keep the output good

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-29_22-7-41.png
    upload_2018-9-29_22-7-41.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 150
Hi all,
Second what Edvet
Same for me.
Eheim Ecco 2034 canister filter which comes with a course foam pre filter and two trays, one full of Eheims own Mech pro , little spiral plastic tubes and the other with Substrat pro, small beads of sintered glass
Keep the coarse foam pre-filter (assuming it is the ugly, <"but effective one">, on the intake?) and the <"coco-pops">, chuck out everything else, and don't replace them with anything.

I'm pretty lazy, and I keep very heavily planted tanks, so I can hide the pre-filter in the tank, and just clean it up every couple of weeks. This means that I only need to open the filter very occasionally. I always have an intake pre-filter, often a <"fairly substantial"> PPI10 or PPI20 foam block.

cheers Darrel

Hi,

Thanks all, glad I put the question as plenty of interesting advice there , partic not overfilling the trays and having a pre filter on the intake, will help save having to open the canister so often. :happy:

Hi all,
partic not overfilling the trays and having a pre filter on the intake, will help save having to open the canister so often
I think part of the problem is the term "filter", I'd like to separate the the processes of mechanical and biological filtration. In some ways nitrification is a better term than "biological filtration", because it makes it more apparent that you just want dissolved oxygen and ammonia.

NH3 + CO2 + 1.5 O2 → NO2- + CO2 + 0.5 O2 → NO3-

When I originally wrote <"aeration and ....> it hadn't actually occurred to me that people would run a canister filter without a pre-filter, and some of the main criticisms were that having a pre-filter stopped the canister acting as a syphon, and that having too much oxygen in the filter was a bad thing, as it interfered with anaerobic denitrifiction.

cheers Darrel

Second what Edvert says :thumbup:

Course and medium filter and a bit of ceramic is all I have in my FX6 for my 500L high tech tank ie. Its not rammed with media to keep the output good
I am so sorry to jump in on this thread but zeus do you run just the fx6 on your tank

Back