• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

eheim professional 2 - on its way back... FIXED

Chris
I think I had the same model and it leaked. I contacted Eheim and the top motor unit was replaced FREE reason being a seal in the motor area was made incorrectly. My suggestion contact Eheim making sure you give them the model and serial number and see what they have to say.

Keith:wave::wave:

Chris
I think I had the same model and it leaked. I contacted Eheim and the top motor unit was replaced FREE reason being a seal in the motor area was made incorrectly. My suggestion contact Eheim making sure you give them the model and serial number and see what they have to say.

Keith:wave::wave:

i have now contacted both eheims listed in the uk... lets see who responds first / offers the best support

I emailed them telling them i have replaced ALL seals.

the first email was - have you replaced the seal on the primer..

i even specified that i had in my first email *palm in face*

had a call asking me to call them back 'i can explain whats gone wrong' sounded very clear and straight to the point, i did send serial number etc.

so fingers crossed...

if not i think ill buy the eheim classic 600 i had the 200 before and its such a simple cheap cannister and highly rated.

either that or fluval or eheim 3 but they are less flow for same price..

Eheim!

I had to deal with someone’s Fluval filters a couple weeks ago - I’m even less enthralled with their quality than when I had them years back (both had “leaky boat syndrome” despite being less than one year old, plus other annoying habits)

spoke to john and alan the uk reps. he thinks i have just not done it right, once all have been replaced then, there is no reason for a leak.

will cost £20 to send there and back and will test for free. so cant complain.

in the mean time... i think ill buy eheim classic as i have a tank and no fish lol

Did you send this to eheim? You've had exactly the same experience I had so I can empathise with your frustration.

That internal nozzle bit on the motor will come off with persuasion. I think I pushed a screwdriver through the nozzle to provide something to pull on while gently squeezing the releasing tabs with pliers or grips. It's plastic so go easy.

The central cylinder within the head is bevelled so the motor slides in from the top. There's also a step within the moulding lower down. Presumably the seal got pinched either as the motor was inserted from the bottom side, or on the little step.

But if you've finally got it to go together the correct way it should be OK. Unless the primer seal has been torn as it got pinched, or you cracked the head like I did, which I doubt using the correct seal.

Just playing devil's advocate but is the main body seal in correctly? From memory I think they're slightly trapezoid shape so the sealing surface needs to be uppermost.

I'm near Coventry and happy to help if you're local.

so update time, had an email confirming

primer seal had a cut in the new ring (probably from me putting it in the wrong way and causing a saggy bit)

the pressure gauge has been replaced also.

so parts time and delivery back to me (they have mentioned packaging which i sent it well wrapped so i will be annoyed if they are actually charging me for this haha)

comes in at £40.**

i have already spent £40.00..... media and parts... may be more as the £10 it also cost me to send back the ehiem

i could have just bought an eheim classic 600 ‍♂️

however... thinking positive, this is a large filter and has an inbuilt heater which i have an external heater, so nice to have a back up.

i will have two filters, two heaters, and i can link up my co2 to one specific filter outlet near plants. so i am staying positive lol.

Glad it's fixed.

The economics of repairing something for similar money to throwing it away and buying new can seem a little questionable.

But there's one less piece of plastic in landfill, that just required some tlc. You can engage smug mode, while being sensible and not admitting to your wife how much it cost to fix.

If the true cost of plastic being dumped in landfill/burnt with associated issues were taken into account in the purchase price we'd pay a lot more, hopefully have better quality and repair stuff more.

@Keith GH @rubadudbdub

so it was fixed... canister, though they didnt check the inlet outlet unit, this leaked, i sent them an email at 1am after making it safe and they sent me a replacement for free.

its now been up and running 2 days no sign of water, and the primer worked a dream!
20190807_225951_compress14.jpg

john and alan eheim have been brilliant in customer service!

thank you for the support

Back