• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim skim 350 as only filtration?

DaveWatkin

Making a iwagumi using MC and DHG with floating plants (not picked yet). It's a small 20l tank, do you think the 350 skim could be used as the only form of filtration?

Will rely on the plants and in tank bacteria for most filtration, skim will keep the surface clean and circulate.

Maybe an option but flow rate is a little low. Not really considered much yet as I will be dry starting for a month or two so got plenty of time to plan the hardware.

I was running this tank with a oase filtosmart 60 previously but thats broken now and I want to run it with the smallest footprint I can as a desktop tank so internal is now the better option.

The reason I thought about the skim is the last time I used it there was always surface scum and I want it nice and clear this time.

It will house shrimp so bioload won't be too bad.

The reason I thought about the skim is the last time I used it there was always surface scum and I want it nice and clear this time.
Hi @DaveWatkin

If you don't mind cleaning the sponge every 1 - 2 days, you may be OK. It will depend on how much surface film develops on the water. But the cross-sectional area of the sponge is only about 10 square centimetres looking at mine in a tank right now. Once that filter surface is covered with a film, flow will start to reduce. And, be warned that the Eheim skim350 is notorious for trapping small fish and shrimp.

Good luck!

JPC

Back