Eheim Skim 350 for Flow

AlanRR

I am currently trying to set up a low tech tank. During the early fishless stages though I’d like to run with some CO2 to help the plants to get established. For this I bought the Tropica System 60 setup which simply consists of a plastic chamber that fixes with suction cups to one corner of the tank and gets filled daily with CO2.

I am running this in a small 60 l tank with an internal filter. The filter sits in the opposite rear corner to the CO2 chamber (I can’t physically get them into the same corner). As a result, the flow is very low where the chamber is. This seems to be evidenced by the fact that the plant directly below the chamber has almost doubled in size since I planted the tank out last week while the same species at the opposite side hasn’t grown at all.

I was initially thinking of sticking in a small submersible pump near the chamber to push water towards the filter for distribution to that side of the tank. I then thought that maybe the Eheim Skim 350 would be a more versatile option. Does anyone know what sort of flow these put out and if they’d be up to the job?

Thanks

Alan

Fiske

It probably will. I use one for added flow in my EA600. Be aware that it probably will de-gas some of your CO2. IME not very much though.
You can get similar flow from some of the smallest Hydor powerheads.

AlanRR

It probably will. I use one for added flow in my EA600. Be aware that it probably will de-gas some of your CO2. IME not very much though.
You can get similar flow from some of the smallest Hydor powerheads.

Thanks Fiske