Eheim Skim 350 Modifications review

Andrew Butler

This is what I made for my skim350
worth adding a photo of your version here JPC?
A bit less material and time to print.

That is also a possibility, Green Aqua sell one which I think is exactly that, two different molds combined into one!
Did you ever experiment with this one Paulo? I liked the look of the adjustability it showed.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member

CooKieS

I went through many of these options with my Eheim 350 - it still managed to kill two fish.

IModification No.6 - stick the Skim 350 in the classified and get an APS SKIM-2 - sooooo much better than the Eheim; much faster and easier to maintain, much greater surface area skimming meaning it takes much longer to clog, a transparent body to easily spot trapped shrimp etc. I have two now and they both work great.

View attachment 152108

Thanks to this topic, I just bought this one for 9€ from aliexpress.

I used to mod my eheim skim 350, but even with an 3d printed guard, doesn't seem to work properly...and without it has managed to kill one otocinclus and 3 corydoras habrosus. :confused:

Tim Harrison

Super Moderator
Staff member
May have a far simpler solution to the problem. So far it's working just fine and has less of an impact on tank aesthetics...

IMG_4032.jpeg

jaypeecee

Hi @Tim Harrison

So, you've removed the top section + float? I guess you remove the readily-accessible sponge every day or so, give it a rinse - then pop it back in place? Is it effective in removing surface film? How long have you had one running like this?

It certainly looks worth a try.

JPC :D

Tim Harrison

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I've just removed the top section etc, it's been running a couple of days like that. So far it's kept the surface film at bay, but it might be too early to draw any definitive conclusions. I'll keep you posted ;)