• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim surface skimmer problem

L3igh

Seedling
Just installed an eheim surface skimmer/outlet .... it's not ducking from the movable floats ? I dont get it !! Seems fool proof .

I have a 100liter tank the pump is an eheim ecco pro 220

Any ideas ??

Attachments

• 15733966971678297822056446462549.jpg
    15733966971678297822056446462549.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 363
There’s a valve in the main body, check it’s free to move.

https://www.eheim.com/resources/product//845/downloads/11/EHEIM_surface_skimmer_3535_manual.pdf

The height of part 7329850 also needs to be adjusted if I remember correctly - not used one for over 20 years ...

I found if you have a really thick oily film on the tank the flow through the skimmer isn’t strong enough to break the film on its own. You may need to break the film with your fingers to start it off.

Last edited:
The valve your talking about ... is it the thing with the weight in ... that is currently where i found it , in the very top ??

Attachments

• 15734103068856563704777212907094.jpg
    15734103068856563704777212907094.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
The valve is item number 7313078. It is indeed weighted and tends to bob up and down just above the inlet strainer at the bottom of the unit.

Ok I'll try that tomorrow... why the hell do they keep it in the top bit and not tell you in any if the pics or instructions that u have to place it in there ??!!

No idea. If you look at the link I posted though it shows all the bits in the right place.
Let us know how you get on.

No luck I'm afraid ... I took the thing with the weight out of the top bit and tried it in the strainer and the main body and it just doesn't work .... I'm guessing my flow is not high enough for it to balance the float ...it certainly doesn't Bob up and down ... it just sits there due to the weight

Try removing the tab, part 7329850 completely. This is used to balance the flow between the skimmer arms and the bottom strainer. With it removed it should take as much water as it wants from the top. You can put it back to alter the flow later.

Also check that the complete unit is at the correct height in the tank. I think the arms need to be at about 45°?

That's certainly helpful but the valve in my situation just sits there likes it too heavy ... I can see by the video that the flow of the water is what balances it out ... it's like I dont have enough flow , I tried fully blocking the strainer but It just pulled air down the main body until.the pump said no thankyou .... thanks for your help I appreciate it .... but I think I'm just going to go back to independent skimmer and just make it shrimp proof

You have to initiate a good flow through the unit from the bottom strainer first. Once you have that and expelled all the air from the pump you can then balance the flow between the skimmer and the strainer. I don’t recall having any problems with mine except for heavy films as mentioned earlier. This video shows the weighted valve bobbing up and down in normal operation.

Back