• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Surface Skimmer

Fuzzy Shaq

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the bank holiday weekend. I'm interested whether fellow members run there surface skimmers 24/7 or on a timer? Also do you run it whilst injecting Co2?
Thanks

I have a slight issue with my drop checker always remaining green even before Co2 turns on.
I may be wrong here, someone with more intelligence than me may be able to back this up or say I’m talking nonsense.
Co2 checkers test PH (not the most accurate way of testing PH I’d add)
I wonder that if you’re tank is in a busy space or a small space or is a small tank, the amount of co2 in the air is lowering your PH right down, hence the green indicator.
Co2 in a room is a really pain for reef keepers, so we often spend a lot of time with windows open to let more oxygen in.

I may be wrong here, someone with more intelligence than me may be able to back this up or say I’m talking nonsense.
I wonder that if you’re tank is in a busy space or a small space or is a small tank, the amount of co2 in the air is lowering your PH right down, hence the green indicator.
Co2 in a room is a really pain for reef keepers, so we often spend a lot of time with windows open to let more oxygen in.
It's a 200 Litre aquarium so it's not small. However it does have a glass lid and cover. It's definitely not the solution, I bought another bottle to make sure. I did increase the bubbles per second and it turned yellow so dialled it back a few days ago.
Just don't want to gas my fish 😂

Drop checkers show the amount of dissolved CO2 in your water. The colour of the 4dkh solution changes according to how much CO2 "escaped" from the water into the tiny air gap in the drop checker, the one separating the water and the solution.

Neither aquarium water pH or ambient CO2 levels play any part in this.

Ok, now someone with more knowledge please correct me :D

Drop checkers show the amount of dissolved CO2 in your water. The colour of the 4dkh solution changes according to how much CO2 "escaped" from the water into the tiny air gap in the drop checker, the one separating the water and the solution.

Neither aquarium water pH or ambient CO2 levels play any part in this.

Ok, now someone with more knowledge please correct me :D
Neither of us wrong mate but a drop checker is just a PH test.
Ambient co2 does affect the PH of a tank.
Whether this is picked up the drop checker, that’s what I’m unsure about at.

You’re right in saying the gas escapes the water into the checker, but does the ambient co2 effect this also. That’s what I want to know.

Ambient co2 does affect the PH of a tank.
Whether this is picked up the drop checker, that’s what I’m unsure about at.
The thing is the drop checker doesn't care about the ph of your water. Whether you have a ph of 8 or 5, if you have 30ppm CO2 your drop checker will be yellowish. If you have close to 0ppm it will be blue, again regardless of ph.

You’re right in saying the gas escapes the water into the checker, but does the ambient co2 effect this also. That’s what I want to know.
Ambient air has no access to the air pocket in the drop checker so it has no direct effect.

Ambient CO2 does have an impact on the tank's CO2 levels. Most people guesstimate that it contributes 3ppm to dissolved CO2 (disputable) in a normal scenario, which would not be enough to turn the drop checker green.

I think in OP's case CO2 is just not fully degassing, which is actually not an issue!

The thing is the drop checker doesn't care about the ph of your water. Whether you have a ph of 8 or 5, if you have 30ppm CO2 your drop checker will be yellowish. If you have close to 0ppm it will be blue, again regardless of ph.

Ambient air has no access to the air pocket in the drop checker so it has no direct effect.

Ambient CO2 does have an impact on the tank's CO2 levels. Most people guesstimate that it contributes 3ppm to dissolved CO2 (disputable) in a normal scenario, which would not be enough to turn the drop checker green.

I think in OP's case CO2 is just not fully degassing, which is actually not an issue!
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't need to worry that the Co2 drop checker is green in the morning, it's a good thing.
@Djoko Sauza what is your opinion on surface skimmes? I've set mine up to run 24/7 now it came with a shrimp guard, it's on the opposite sides of my inlet and outlet.
I'd like to pick your knowledgeable brain.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't need to worry that the Co2 drop checker is green in the morning, it's a good thing.
@Djoko Sauza what is your opinion on surface skimmes? I've set mine up to run 24/7 now it came with a shrimp guard, it's on the opposite sides of my inlet and outlet.
I'd like to pick your knowledgeable brain.
I think in general it is beneficial to run a surface skimmer. But in the end you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if you want to run one or not. This is how I see it:

Pros
  • Increases O2 levels in the water
  • Gets rid of surface scum
  • Extra flow if needed

Cons
  • Potentially dangerous to livestock
  • Extra equipment in the tank
  • Energy consumption
  • Causes turbulent flow if not properly placed

For me the flow is not necessary and I'd rather not have any equipment in the tank so I use an inlet skimmer. If that wasn't an option I'd use a skimmer. I did in fact run one in the past run and it did its job both with and without a timer.

If I were you, seeing you have a shrimp guard, I'd just run it 24/7. Just check if the guard really works, specially when you have shrimplets.

I think in general it is beneficial to run a surface skimmer. But in the end you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if you want to run one or not. This is how I see it:

Pros
  • Increases O2 levels in the water
  • Gets rid of surface scum
  • Extra flow if needed

Cons
  • Potentially dangerous to livestock
  • Extra equipment in the tank
  • Energy consumption
  • Causes turbulent flow if not properly placed

For me the flow is not necessary and I'd rather not have any equipment in the tank so I use an inlet skimmer. If that wasn't an option I'd use a skimmer. I did in fact run one in the past run and it did its job both with and without a timer.

If I were you, seeing you have a shrimp guard, I'd just run it 24/7. Just check if the guard really works, specially when you have shrimplets.
Thanks for the tips. I agree it's good to have good surface exchange for the livestock. I've got enough flow, I have an oase biomaster thermo 600 really good in my 200 litre. I'll just leave the skimmer on 24/7 for peace of mind, my background is black so blends in plus collects all the little leaves.
Will definitely be checking the guard thanks buddy.

Google Eheim surface skimmer 3D print. A lot of replacement tops that are designed to stop fish and shrimp being sucked in or just plain curious I've got on on mine it works very well.

Google Eheim surface skimmer 3D print. A lot of replacement tops that are designed to stop fish and shrimp being sucked in or just plain curious I've got on on mine it works very well.
Thanks Stu. I bought it recently and it came with a guard. I'll attach a pic of it. Is this any good? The guy from my LFS said eheim give this out now, due to all the complaints.
Screenshot_20220419-202308_Brave.jpg

Thanks Stu. I bought it recently and it came with a guard. I'll attach a pic of it. Is this any good? The guy from my LFS said eheim give this out now, due to all the complaints.
Not seen that before but I suspect coming from Eheim it will do the job and save you buying one. Apart from that problem it's a very good surface skimmer.

Back