• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim VivalineLED 240 Heater Position

IvanK

Good Evening All!

I have finally started my new aquarium - Eheim VivalineLED 240, and I am now trying to figure out the best place or the heater. The two options I am considering are:
1. The heater to be between the intake pipe and the right wall of the aquarium.
2. The heater to be between the intake pipe and the return pipe.

Both options come with their pros and cons, however, I am not that experience yet and would love to hear any thoughts of yours - many thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2023-01-17 194414.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-17 194929.jpg

PS: Please don't mind the scape - it is a work in progress in the very beginning.

Cheers!

Ivan

Attachments

• 1673984690741.jpeg
    1673984690741.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230117_194207.jpg
    20230117_194207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20230117_194207.jpg
    20230117_194207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Of those choices, I’d suggest 2, so that any warm water rising off the heater is picked up in the flow of the return. However, ideally, you’d have the heater at a 45 degree angle such that the thermostat is not above the rising warm water.

Of those choices, I’d suggest 2, so that any warm water rising off the heater is picked up in the flow of the return. However, ideally, you’d have the heater at a 45 degree angle such that the thermostat is not above the rising warm water.
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the 45-degree angle - the thermometer manual specifically says "mount vertically" - do you think it will be a problem to deviate from it?

1674041257294.png

Cheers
Ivan

Ideally I would try to put it where there is the most flow, so that the temperature is the most homogeneous in the tank and the sensor gets a more representative reading. Near the filter inlet, as you are doing, would be great if the inlet wasn't so far down... So try to mount the thermostat as low as possible, so that the heating zone is close to the intake. Other than that, since your intake looks like it sucks water from all directions equally, I don't think it matters much if it is to its left or to its right.

Sometimes, if the heater is strong enough, and if the water flow is too weak, you can see the "waves" that form around the heater due to the warm water raising up and not properly mixing. If you see those and they aren't being dragged into the filter, you should probably find a better placement.

But that is all very theoretical... in a worse case scenario you would have your thermostat turning on and off more frequently and it taking longer to heat the tank, but I don't think it should make much of a difference, unless you are really at its limit and need every watt to keep the temperature where you want it.

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the 45-degree angle - the thermometer manual specifically says "mount vertically" - do you think it will be a problem to deviate from it?

View attachment 199968

Cheers
Ivan
I that case, go with the manual. I'd always been told to out it an angle. perhaps in todays high flow aquaria it's better if vertical.

Back