• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI does it lead to early fish mortality?

andyone

Hi all

I've been running EI for about 6 months and my plants are doing well with minimal problems. Before this I always ran low tech systems with Co2 and some weekly ferts for about 15 years but not to EI levels. I still under took weekly 40-50% water changes and could grow a large range of plants and keep fish and breed fish in these tanks with no real health issues.

Now I'm beginning to wonder despite large water changes, if keeping fish in what is effect a chemical soup isn't a good idea as I seem to be loosing fish on a more regular basis with no signs of disease and across a range of species but mainly tetras which have shown no interest in breeding. The water conditions with EI are I suggest not close to those of the wild and not close to say a Chalk stream where both plant, insect and fish life is abundant, with a absence of ferts.

What you think? Have we got it a bit wrong if we are wanting to keep fish for any length of time or are we stressing them out? Should we reserve EI for plant only set ups?

First off,
We need to examine the cause of fish fatalities
Until histological examination is undertaken we can't really be sure of the cause of death.

I certainly would never keep my fish in a full ei, high tech tank ever again.

Hi Andy , Going off results and some of the effect is has on healthy plant growth I would say there is no evidence its detrimental to fish health in fact I was just thinking the opposite if used appropriately and plant growth is lush its probably great for fish.Some of those weekly dosage fertilisers are often the same make up and just as strong in chelated content. Sometimes fish just die for whatever reason it worth looking at another possible cause ruling out natural old age etc and maybe CO2 too high

Hi Andy , Going off results and some of the effect is has on healthy plant growth I would say there is no evidence its detrimental to fish health in fact I was just thinking the opposite if used appropriately and plant growth is lush its probably great for fish.Some of those weekly dosage fertilisers are often the same make up and just as strong in chelated content. Sometimes fish just die for whatever reason it worth looking at another possible cause ruling out natural old age etc and maybe CO2 too high

Agree lush growth might equal healthy plants but does that translate to healthy/happy fish given the methods used to achieve it? Take your point with regard the Chelated content but a weekly single dose will decrease in concentration over the week giving the fish a better chance of having a recovery period before the next hit = less stress.

I considered CO2 and cut it back to 1 BPM slowed growth a tad but nothing too major I'm still pruning! All the fish in this current set up are young except two old cory's who are their normal selves but haven't so far tried spawning in this set up.

First off,
We need to examine the cause of fish fatalities
Until histological examination is undertaken we can't really be sure of the cause of death.

I certainly would never keep my fish in a full ei, high tech tank ever again.

What are your reasons?

unless fish learn to talk i don't think where truly going to know the answer to this haha. Also depends on the fish. Maybe this is why they have glycocalyx (slimey coating).

In my opinion give them enough space / plants etc and they're probably happy. Do your research on the species, this is all we can do.

Also look at the natural habitats in the wild, conditions can fluctuate wildly. They probably feel like they're on holiday in most of the tanks on here :)

Plus loads of fish are bred in captivity so for those our tanks must be like a syrian refugee being given a mansion in the uk and a couple million in he bank account.

Back