• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosing and what to buy

zed

I'm at a stage where the final piece of the equation to my first 'proper' planted tank is the fert dosing. I have, I think, all the other equipment I need to set up (apart from plants).

After having read the guides on the form and James' Planted Tank I think I have an idea of how much I need to dose, but would really appreciate confirmation that the amounts are ok:

The tank is a Fluval Venezia 350 which has a water capacity of 297 litres.

I used James' dosing calculator for a 300 litre tank: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Potassium Nitrate (KN03): 200 grams dissolved in 1000ml of water, of which 20ml = 8.17 ppm (3 x per week)

Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4): 200 grams dissolved in 4000ml of water, of which 20ml = 2.33 ppm (3 x per week)

Trace mix solution: 15 grams dissolved in 250 ml distilled water 0.5 ml Normal Hydrochloric Acid), 15ml trace solution 3 x per week

Should I be adding anything else (easy carbo etc)? I'd like to order everything together from aqua essentials.

The set up is as follows (I'm using tap water):

Lighting: 94w of T5HO lighting (I have another 2x39w of T5HO if more lighting is required)
CO2: Aquamas regulator with solenoid, supply from FE. DIY external reactor, also have a Rhinox 5000 if required
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Filtration: Fluval FX5
Flow: I have a couple of power-heads if increased circulation i required
Heat: Hydor 300 external heater

Thanks

If going by the basic EI dosing guide you don't need to play with the quantities within the solutions. They are basically calculated on ideal amounts that the chemical will dissolve at and to make things easier. All you need to then do is work out the quantity of ml from the solution for your tank so you would do:

KNO3 - 40g in 500ml DI water
KH2PO4 - 15g in 500ml DI water
Trace - 15g in 250ml DI water (with the acid if wanted)

Now you have 3 solutions made up.

If you want to make larger quantties (i.e. 2litres then as the water content is 4 x then multiply the chemical by 4 too. So KNO3 would then be 2000ml and 160g KNO3.

You would then dose the following on days 1,3,5 regardless of how large a mix you have made as the quantity of chemical remains the same in each ml of the water:
KN03 x 40ml
KH2PO4 x 25ml

And on days 2,4,6:
Trace x 15ml

I would say for your light that this should be enough. If you do see defficiencies then you can move up to the next level i.e. the 380-473ltr amounts.

So you need to buy KNO3, KH2PO4, Trace elements. I would buy at least a year's worth of each so in your case 500g KNO3, 500g KH2PO4 and 500g Trace.

AC

AC, thanks for your reply, just what I needed ;)

So just to confirm, with my size tank, on days 1,3, and 5, I'll be dosing:

KN03 x 40ml
KH2PO4 x 25ml

And on days 2,4,6:
Trace x 15ml

Is the acid not a requirement for the trace mix?

Should I be ordering anything else that I'm likely to need? I'd rather order everything together and pay just the one delivery charge, rather than to keep having to order bits and pieces. What's confusing me is I hear people adding Easycarbo, even they have injected CO2.

Also I remember reading of some liquid that some peopel use if they get algea problems (not sure if it was called Flourish?)

Thanks again!

Those quantities are correct as long as you stick to the mixes on JamesCs site. If you want to make bigger solutions then multiply the chemical by the same multiple as you do with the water.

The acid is to stop fungus etc in the trace mix but I never bother with it. The speed your 250ml mix will be used each time you shouldn't need it.

Buy some EasyCarbo just in case. It is the same as Flourish Excel and can be used to eradicate algae. You do have pressurised though and therefre see if you can be algae free without the EasyCarbo. You then have it to hand in case you do need it and for any outbreaks in the future.

I add EasyCarbo as well as pressurised but only while I notice the DC is struggling to get to lime green for whatever reason as it can take many attempts in a high plantmass tank to rediscover the best area / way to get good flow. You shouldn't need it at the start but it is there if you do require it.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Those quantities are correct as long as you stick to the mixes on JamesCs site. If you want to make bigger solutions then multiply the chemical by the same multiple as you do with the water.
AC

I'll make up the solutions as you/James suggest:

KNO3 - 40g in 500ml DI water
KH2PO4 - 15g in 500ml DI water
Trace - 15g in 250ml DI water (with the acid if wanted)

I'll order some Easycarbo and 4DKH solution for the drop-checker.

Please feel free, anybody, to suggest anything else I ought to have in my plant-keeping tool kit.

Thanks again :)

Hi,
Since pricing is similar the trend is to use the ADA AquaSoil in lieu of EcoComplete. AS is a more nutritious substrate and the required quantities are more or less equivalent. Review the articles in the Tutorials forum section which provide information regarding tank setup, CO2 injection, plant maintenance and dosing.

Cheers,

Hi, I have already bought the Eco-Complete. The reason I went for EC rather than ADA A/S was I read some reports of it clouding the tank water if disturbed, and since this is my first 'proper' planted tank, I expect to be messing around with the planting placement until I get something I'm happy with.

I accept ADA A/S is the 'better' choice, so maybe I'll use it on the second tank I'll be setting up in the new year.

Off to do some more reading :)

Thanks

Back