EI Dosing how many litres

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by RossMartin, 29 Nov 2009.

1. RossMartin

RossMartin Member

Hi all, just a quick question.

I am dosing EI on a nano tank which holds 8 litres of water, but i also run an external JBL e900 filter on it which also contains an amount of water. I've been dosing my tank based on 8 litres but should i be dosing taking into account the water contained in the filter??

Thanks

Ross

2. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi Ross

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the extra water in your filter.
    Bear in mind the original EI concept was allowing for maximum uptake rates at around 5-6wpg and a 12 hour photoperiod. So unless you have megawatts of lighting and a long photoperiod I'm pretty sure you'll be fine :D .
    If anything, you could probably cut it down, so no need to worry on that score.

Chris

3. RossMartin

RossMartin Member

Cheers Chris, that's what I thought! I was just concerned that as there is so little water in the tank that if I had say 4 litres of water in the filter it would be an extra 50% of water in total and therefore I shoud increase the amount dosed by 50%!

4. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi Ross

I see the reason behind your thinking, but I'm pretty sure you will be OK.
    Just keep a close eye on your plants, they'll soon let you know if there are any shortages ;) .

Chris