• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

El Natural 60cm

I decided to finally set my 54l tank with soil. It's been running 2 years as a normal low tech.

If I catch all the shrimp today it could be today, if not ....soon. Do not expect quality aquascape. I'll plant it for long term convenience rather than fiddling with scapes plus I do not possess any aquascaping skills :) I just want happy plants.

Specs:

Tank 54L Juwel Koral
Light: Arcadia Classica Stretch LED
Soil: Verve fruit and vegetable planter mixed with 5-10% red clay capped with the old white sand it's already in there.
Filtration: Internal Fluval U2 450l/h and a sponge powerhead driven filter(may or may not leave the sponge filter as it gets very crowded)
Flora: undecided yet. Currently the tank has moss, small anubias, dwarf sag and crypt beckettii pink. If any room left I may add a dwarf version of crypt beckettii, hydrocolyte tripartida, ludwiga and two dwarf versions of echinodorus but that maybe a bit too much.
Fauna: undecided, shrimp, snails and something else, either ottos only or a school of pygmy corys. May or may not try selectively breed my mutated blue cherry shrimp that are popping up in another tank.

Sorry, no pictures yet.

Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures. I've been eyeing up the Arcadia LEDs for a while now. Have you used them before? Are they any good?

sounds like a plan :)

Thanks Allan, still on the catching shrimp stage. Hopefully over by tomorrow. :mad:

Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures. I've been eyeing up the Arcadia LEDs for a while now. Have you used them before? Are they any good?

It looks very good aesthetically wise. I like it, it's thin, very light and effortless to "install" if one can call it this as I just placed it over, it has it's own legs. I can fit the cover over it too.
The colour is on the pink side which I tend to like, looks very good to me and has the shimmer effect too. So far I tested it on just crypts and dwarf sag only and they've been growing visibly well(despite me leaving them with no ferts as I neglected the tank) but I am going to have to see on more demanding plants.
It has a moon light option(red) which is cool but one needs to flip a switch and can't set them with the full light on a separate timer. Obviously it can't be dimmed but I think they come on the low side intensity wise so for a high tech it will definitely need two of these I think.
I would buy another one no problem and I need extra light for my 5f and thinking to buy the longest version of it too.

When I set up the tank tomorrow hopefully you can see how it looks in the tank although it doesn't come as well on pictures as it is in reality.

Sounds tough. I had a nightmare chagning substrate in one of my tanks. It will be worth it though, the plants will love you for it.

Well, the tank is down to a bare substrate now. I was just going to take the sand out but decided to inspect the tank for more shrimp when I saw a baby otto stuck to the glass!!

My two ottos in another tank spawned a few days ago. I moved a few cuttings from that tank to this one and I must have moved an egg too because there's a baby otto munching on the glass.
I am going to give it a chance and run the tank bare for a while because if I move the otto it can die. It's probably going to die anyway after I ripped the tank apart but I'll give him a fighting chance.

OttoBaby_zps41188dfd.jpg

He's alive and doing great. I put lots of info about him in the nano walstad tank journal but haven't uptated it recently.
He's been living in that cherry shrimp tank and he's now almost fully grown. It's been almost year and it's only recently that I started confusing him with the adults. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow as the lights are off now in there.

Last edited:
I just found this thread hanging in the air. I'll update it because I like conclusions. The story isn't uneventful
I never ended up changing the substrate or planting it properly. I binned the plants that were supposed to go in there.
I ran the tank bare for a good while. It housed fry from time to time.

At some stage I put back one crypt in there, don't ask why I put just one....I just couldn't be bothered to plant the tank as I was still planning to put soil as substrate. The crypt happened to love the solo experience and threw runners everywhere, until I caused a massive algae outbreak by overfeeding a bunch of fry that were the current occupants. There was a thick layer of diatoms, blue green algae and BBA. It was manky looking. I had never seen such severe algae outbreak for all the time I've had tanks. I did daily water changes while raising the fry and it still didn't prevent the algae.....Too much frozen food...

I moved the fry out, emptied the tank, trimmed the poor crypts which were left down to a leaf or two literally. In about 2 months or so the algae ran its course. The plants started recovering.

In the meantime two of my other tanks broke. That was last year. One of them is the tank with the kuhlis and hundreds of shrimp on the above picture. Everything I could save from my 130l tank got moved to the 54 litre tank. I lost two kuhlis and several ottos. It was a nightmare period. I also threw in some anubias that had nowhere else to go.

Currently the tank is overstocked with 6 khulis, 2 ottos and 5 corydoras. The latter decided to breed so I've got 4 self-surviving baby corys. I tried to catch the adult corys to give some room for the small ones to grow but Its impossible with the amount of plants. I'll keep trying....
The tank is not aquascaped for aesthetics. It just ended up the way it ended up.

A glimpse at my crypts below as I happened to take a picture a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be loving that old plain sand that's in there for 4 or so years. I won't be bothering with soil now...
Light is still the Arcadia Classica Stretch 18W on 12hrs at night time :eek:
Ferts-only iron. My water is hard and iron availability has been a problem
No additional co2

I know it doesn't look like much but those crypts sprouted from one plant only. They are actually all over the tank but the left side is shaded by anubias just floating on top.

IMG_0092_zpsl4du6vky.jpg

The left side is a bit of a jungle as I dumped some anubias on top of the crypts at some stage. Here is mama cory.
FullSizeRender_zpsgxbqktvn.jpg

I just wanted to show the colour metamorphosis that the crypt is going through in the last weeks. All the leaves are now turning dark wine sort of colour. There is probably a reason for it...to be figured out...I've noticed that this crypt (beckettii petchii) always changes leaf colour depending on the conditions. I know that at very low light levels the leaves stay dark green and do not turn pink or red. But what drives them to go this wine colour....I am not sure..

IMG_0106_zpselo8jx75.jpg

Hi all, Does the tank get any ambient light? If it does it may just be the increase in light intensity from the brighter daylight and longer days.

cheers Darrel

It's quite possible. The room in which the tank is in is definitely brighter because of the more regular sunshine entering the room, however the tank gets no direct sun light at all. Still, the longer days may have an impact considering the light schedule of the tank. The tank light is switched on at night from 6pm to 6am, meaning that the plants are never in complete darkness because of the ambient light throughout the rest of the time. I should be having an algae factory by all accounts but I don't :) I was just looking at the specs of the light unit yesterday out of curiosity and the manufacturer claims that the par level at the bottom of a 30cm tall tank(which is the height of this tank), taken in water at 6cm above the water surface, is 22. At 20 cm the par level is 38. I've placed the light unit 2cm above the water surface, meaning its almost immediately above the water level.

Back