elastic band for attaching moss?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by soton_dave, 14 May 2009.

1. soton_dave

soton_dave Member

thinking about getting some xmas moss to put on a large piece of wood in my tank but really dont want to remove it due to the planting around it,has anyone used elastic bands to hold the moss on till it gets a grip?or is there another way without removing the wood?
    how long does it normally take for moss to get a grip on wood?

cheers dave

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Just use cotton thread does the trick, some mosses don't attach to the wood at all. from my experience, xmas, spiky and fissidens do.

3. soton_dave

soton_dave Member

i tied some java moss onto another bit of wood but the bit i will be attaching the xmas moss to has lumps and indents on it so im a bit concerned that using cotton/fishing line it wont hold flat to the wood leaving gaps between the cotton and the wood that a otto or sae could get caught up in,thats why i was thinking elastic bands instead being thicker and softer the fish shouldnt get snagged up on them and once the moss took a hold they could be removed.

cheers dave

4. milla

milla Member

You could try superglue

5. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I wouldn't use superglue for moss. lol

I used to use elastic bands for everything that needed attaching before superglue and would use them still if I used moss.

Once they perish and split they are easy to remove and whatever they were holding should be attached by then.

AC