Electric Aquarium Aquatic Plant CO2 Generator

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by nickyc, 6 Feb 2008.

1. nickyc

nickyc Member

Has anyone tried these? Worth a go?? I bought a TDS meter off this guy which is great and he's offering discount to repeat customers :D

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    To date, no one has come up with a better solution than plain old pressurized gas injection. These are gimmicks which normally are much less effective in the long run.

Cheers,

3. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

If you mean the ones that use a carbon block, then i hear they actually work OK, however they are bulky, expensive and difficult to control the co2 level in the tank.

As Ceg suggests a pressurised system is the better option and probably a bit cheaper,

Sam

4. nickyc

nickyc Member

Interesting - it didn't quite get the slating I expected! :eek: I've just started using the nurtrafin system but I should really be running a couple of them in my tank. I'd really like a pressurised system but I'm a bit nervous of it - and they look expensive! Could you recommend one that's easy to use and not toooo expensive? :)

Many thanks,

5. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Hi mate, i would recommend that you go the Fire Extinguisher route. Here is a great tutorial and trust me, it's not hard or scary. I was petrified the fist time i did it and it was fine.
    http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266
    i would recommend a regulator form aquatic magic on ebay, they do almost everything that you will need except the FE.

Hope this helps.

6. stevet

stevet Member

yep second that - if you like do a search on carbo plus on most planted tank websites and these electrolysis systems get a slating.

I had one and it certainly did not work on a tank of 400l or so and would have been prohibitively expensive to run for any length of time...

Loads of debate from various planted tank luminaries about whether the bubbles generated are even CO2!?

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh dont be scared of pressurized CO2. I had to be cautions when righting that tutorial but its really not as bad as it might at first seem. Just use a bit of common sense :)

Sam

8. neil1973

neil1973 Newly Registered

I also use fire extinguishers along with this regulator: http://www.aquaristic.net/co2-pressure- ... tml?lang=1

Works fine and really is not difficult in any way. I did try the yeast and sugar thing in the past when i had difficulty getting gas and to be honest it really doesn't compare. Once you have a preserised system sorted it's pretty much maintenance free.

cheers
    Neil

9. nickyc

nickyc Member

LOL! B/f is laughing even harder - I'm not renouned for my common sense :oops:

Will start investigating ready for payday :) Will no doubt be back for some handholding when I've got all the bits!

Thanks!

10. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

A couple of Nutrafins? For a 180 you would need 3 minimum with 1WPG and still be fighting to get anywhere near 30ppm.

I used to have 3 on a 125Ltr before pressurised and it was very very hard to get close to the 30ppm.

Andy