• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Vivipara "Giant Hairgrass"

Unexpected

When it gets to the height I desire, can I simply cut off the tops and replant to propagate this plant?

Thank you for any insight,
Mike

Nope it will rot you have to trim at substrate level.

So wait until it forms the root portions higher up and cut there and replant?

You can but in my experience if it gets cut at any point above or below the plantlet that strand invariably died which is why I took to only trimming at substrate level.

You can but in my experience if it gets cut at any point above or below the plantlet that strand invariably died which is why I took to only trimming at substrate level.
Bummer, so there's no way to propagate this one that is reliable?

Depends what you mean by that? It forms runners pretty willingly as well as daughter plants. You just loose the individual strand not the whole plant?

Depends what you mean by that? It forms runners pretty willingly as well as daughter plants. You just loose the individual strand not the whole plant?
Ah okay, so I could just reposition those runners if I need to?

Hi all,
can I simply cut off the tops and replant to propagate this plant?......so there's no way to propagate this one that is reliable?
Cutting the top of works for <"stem plants">, because the buds (that will form root and shoots) are in the leaves axils.

apical-20bud-jpg.jpg

With grass type plants, like Eleocharis spp. (all monocotyledons in fact), you need to think of it like a lawn grass, when you mow the tops off, they are literally just leaves. You still need a stem to propagate the plant.
It forms runners pretty willingly as well as daughter plants.
so I could just reposition those runners if I need to?
Yes, it has a <"rhizome or stolon">, a sub-surface stem that the shoots come up from. Once it has grown a bit, chunk the sucker off and you have a new plant.
image1.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back