• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Vivipara - propogation

mjw1476

i got some E.Vivipara from plants alive that looked prity good quality, however there are little shoots on the top of the 'grass'. ive snipped a few off but they seem to be going a brown clour after snipping off!! what should i do. leave them, snip them or wait for runners to come out?

cheers

E.vivipara is not like stem plants, so you can`t replant the cuttings. Just wait for the runners to appear, and separate them from the mother plant.

Dave.

Sorry Dave but you can snip the top bits off E.vivipara when plantlets form on the leaves. It's not just like stem plants but they do reproduce without runners. In fact I don't remember mine actually producing runners! However you need to leave the adventitious plantlets until they produce decent roots before separating them and planting them in the substrate.

Cheers, Ed.

I guess you mean that you can snip it off from a point where the stem bifurcates/splits in to more than one. I never persevered with mine long enough to try anything, so I assumed it behaved like the other two Eleocharis sp. I got rid the moment it started strangling my MU. It is a plant that needs to be on its own, or next to a foreground plant IME.

Dave.

thanks for clearing that up, im glad you said yours havent produced any runners ed, i was thinking i was doing something wrong!!

do you find the plants you trim the plantlets off of go a brownish colour, havent had them long enough to see if they survive or die yet!

also mines the largest plant i the tank at the back ina iwagumi set up so shouldnt have the same problems as you dave but thanks anyway.

cheers

mjw1476 said:
do you find the plants you trim the plantlets off of go a brownish colour, havent had them long enough to see if they survive or die yet!
I've found that this happens more often than not. I just cut the single brown stem off.

Once you let them get established with decent roots they seem to survive being planted really well IME. Messy plant though.

Back