• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ember tetra price

Paul27

Went to independent fish shop today was having a look around, then I noticed some ember tetra and them looked at the price and you could have 5 for £8, was quite amazed. I have been holding out for some chilli rasbora due to there size but half tempted to get a group of 10 of these. I know they stay small and have looked into them before but Would these be ok for my tank considering it's only 60cm x 20cm x 20cm ?.

That's very cheap but for me your tank is too small, they may be fairly small but they are very active fish and you tank doesn't have the footprint or depth for them unfortunately, I think you'll get better behaviour from the chillis

60cm x 20cm x 20cm ?.
For me this is a significant consideration with these shallow tanks - I have ADA 45F and ADA 60F and have never managed to convince myself to place fish in these tanks once scaped: the tank height becomes just too shallow once substrate, hardscape etc are in, and water volume is correspondingly reduced

While the various microrasbora species are very small, they are also substantially timid fish (keeping in groups of at least 30 helps) and I wouldn’t keep them in such a narrow shallow tank (despite a group of 30 “fitting” into a tiny space)

Shrimp can do very well in these tanks - though I’d add some floating plants (and a cover for several weeks to eliminate escapees, once settled they’re much less likely to go exploring)

A single domestic Betta splendens or possibly a (suitable) group of some of the smaller wild Betta species (but then specific water parameters and a tight fitting tank cover are required)

You could try some endler (especially endler guppy hybrids are very colourful) or smaller guppy types (some of these “dwarf” guppies are endler hybrids but bred to maintain more guppy traits) - these are generally colourful active relatively bold fish, though I’d only keep males re small size and not wanting multitudes
Note that many of the highly bred guppy types have limited fertility, and smaller size including females so could be an interesting fish to keep (my experience is with Asian guppy lines)

Aquarium Glaser Endler

There are many more types, I just link AG re Frank Schafer’s amazing photos
(he has also done many guppy photos)

Even when adding guppy types to this tank (which are not known jumpers), I would include a glass top especially for the first weeks (while fish “learn” the tank space), floating plants or overhanging stem plants etc will also tend to minimize “jumping” (which is often a startle reflex)

For me this is a significant consideration with these shallow tanks - I have ADA 45F and ADA 60F and have never managed to convince myself to place fish in these tanks once scaped: the tank height becomes just too shallow once substrate, hardscape etc are in, and water volume is correspondingly reduced

While the various microrasbora species are very small, they are also substantially timid fish (keeping in groups of at least 30 helps) and I wouldn’t keep them in such a narrow shallow tank (despite a group of 30 “fitting” into a tiny space)

Shrimp can do very well in these tanks - though I’d add some floating plants (and a cover for several weeks to eliminate escapees, once settled they’re much less likely to go exploring)

A single domestic Betta splendens or possibly a (suitable) group of some of the smaller wild Betta species (but then specific water parameters and a tight fitting tank cover are required)

You could try some endler (especially endler guppy hybrids are very colourful) or smaller guppy types (some of these “dwarf” guppies are endler hybrids but bred to maintain more guppy traits) - these are generally colourful active relatively bold fish, though I’d only keep males re small size and not wanting multitudes
Note that many of the highly bred guppy types have limited fertility, and smaller size including females so could be an interesting fish to keep (my experience is with Asian guppy lines)

Aquarium Glaser Endler

There are many more types, I just link AG re Frank Schafer’s amazing photos
(he has also done many guppy photos)

Even when adding guppy types to this tank (which are not known jumpers), I would include a glass top especially for the first weeks (while fish “learn” the tank space), floating plants or overhanging stem plants etc will also tend to minimize “jumping” (which is often a startle reflex)

Never really thought about Endlers, had a read through that article, some interesting patterns on them. I know I'm limited to what I can have due to the size of tank, my house is quite small so got no chance of having a much bigger tank at the moment. I already have a Male betta and a asian catfish, may just get a few more of them as they are tiny and not massively active and a few shrimp and be done with it, did have pygmy Cory's before in there and shrimp but something happened and they all got wiped apart from the betta and catfish.

If you mean Hara jerdoni, they are much more lively in groups (I’d suggest 5-7 as a minimum)
They are prone to periods of inactivity, then a flurry of movement, and can alter their coloration quite a lot

Commiserations on your previous fish loss

You need to be careful when mixing Betta splendens and guppy types, sometimes they are fine together, other times it can be endless fin nipping misery (which can go either way) - I’d definitely avoid female guppy/endlers, and select guppy type boys with more sedate finnage
(when looking at young male fish, ask after the fin type, rather than assuming WYSIWYG)

Think what I'll do is get some more Hara jerdoni and some shrimp and leave it at that.

Thanks for the advice

If you want to mix guppies and beta I would suggest imbellis. They are alot more docile and do well in mixed ratios. Also very colourful as they mature.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back