• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

emergent plants

Garuf

Hello, are there any plants out there that will grow out of the surface of the water and remain undryed out and more importantly stay small?
I'm looking at my tank and I think the added bonus of emergent plants would be an excellent bonus to the scape.

That's very true, I was thinking I could fish out some of the E tennelus from my downstairs plant dump, I'll look into it.

I've had plants become emergent before, but the tops soon dry out and die.

Thats true, I'll keep an eye out for something, this is my "learning" tank after all.

You could try Lilaeopsis macloviana, I have grown these emerged and mine were very thin and stretch up to about 12". I've found them very fast and easy to grow, plus they didn't seem to need any humidity on the emergent leaves at all. Tropica stock it too.

i have a few groups of water wisteria which likes to grow out of my tank. So far it hasnt gotten out of control either as the leafe shape and plant behaviour changes quite dramatically once it emerges.

not truly emerging but i also have a few tiger lotus plants which make nice lilly pads on the surface too.

marc

Re:

fishgeek said:
my hygro is up through the lights gets a bit burnt by the heat from the bulbs and is adapting

What type of hygro is this? :D

I was going to ask the same question then i saw this thread. I have a small open top tank and want my background plants to leave the water a bit without flopping over and covering the surface, so sturdy stems would be good. Its only 8 inches deep so the plant doesnt need to be huge, would any hygros be worth trying?

cheers

Many of the Hygrophila corymbosa types produce strong emergent shoots that are quite resistent to drying out. At the moment on my Rio I have two Echinodorus 'Oriental' flower stems emerging from the water (and the holes at the back of the lid :wideyed: ) and getting ready to bloom.

Back