• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed aquatics plants flowering and taller plants?

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hey folks, looking for some suggestions on emersed aquatic plants.
Would really like to add some plants to my set up that have nice flowers to add some colour to the tank, any suggestions?
Also want to add more height to the rear and dont know which aquatic plants will hold there own weight as they get taller as would like some to grow out the top of the tank.
Even better if i can find some plants that will provide height and flower :D

All suggestions very much appreciated
:thumbup: :wave:

Emersed aquatics plants flowerings and taller plants?

Ahh got ya. Tapatalk doesn't show signatures. I know which tank you mean though mate.
I'd possibly try alterentheri reneckei, hygrophila corymbosa 53b, tall hair grass from the pond sections of MA stores (they are already emmersed),
And ludwigia repens Rubin should stay pretty red too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call on the hair grass mate, was looking at some the other day but was unsure,think it might work though.

did find another plant along the way of my google searching that i would love to find for my rescape end of the year'ish on the big one, seem pretty rare though.

POACEAE SP. 'PURPLE BAMBOO'
purplebamboo.jpg

Hi all,
There are quite a few good flowering plants emersed. As suggested Hygrophila corymbosa is a good one and easy to flower. My all time favourite emersed flower is Heteranthera zosterifolia , although you need the plant to form a big mass at the waters surface before aerial leaves and flowers are produced.

Heteranthera page: <http://itp.lucidcentral.org/id/aqua...dia/html/Image_pages/heteranthera_images.html>

And images of most possibilities at: <http://itp.lucidcentral.org/id/aqua...Plants/media/html/Other/browse_taxa_list.html>.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Hipppurus is OK, although the aerial stems tends to die back in the winter leaving the submerged stems (the look a bit like a giant Lagarosiphon major) and they like hard water. Pictures here <http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-abc/start-up/planting/underwater-landscapes.aspx>. I'm not sure Equisetum hymale is going to like life in a heated tank though, as it is a northern plant. Equisetum fluviatile is definitely OK, but it isn't as attractive. They are all rampant growers if conditions suit.

You can see both Hippurus vulgaris and E. fluviatale as emergents in my pond.
pond_view_june2012c.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, good info as ever. I've seen that Tropica link before and really enjoyed it - I wish they had more 'underwater landscapes' on their website, would make a great addition.

Will see how the plants do, as always I'm fully prepared for it all to go horribly wrong :lol:

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but I really like the inflorescence that some Aponogeton spp. seem to readily throw out in aquariums. The one below was sold to me as A. natans but I think the jury is still out as to what it really is. The floating elliptic leaves in the background belong to the same plant.

Aponogetonnatansflower.jpg

Back