• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed box question

Nont

Hi guys,

I’m trying to propagate different species of emersed plant in a box/pot, and I’m facing a problem where fine sand and soil keep leaking out of (0.3-0.5cm) drainage holes. I tried using fine net to cover it but plants roots tend to pierce through them, any ideas?

Don’t put in drainage holes..

You’re keeping the substrate and plants wet- this can be achieved with misting (so there isn’t tonnes of excess water sloshing around in the box)

Don’t put in drainage holes..

You’re keeping the substrate and plants wet- this can be achieved with misting (so there isn’t tonnes of excess water sloshing around in the box)
I planned to have many shoe boxes in a tub, like this one, so all the plant will be in the same water but without a lid because I live in a humid country, and echinodorus are too tall to fit the lid. The problem here is that sand and soil keep leaking out of the drainage hole.

There are pond pots made out of a type of fabric rather than plastic; I'd imagine the mesh is very much smaller than your existing. We used a few for a pond we once had. As I recall we didn't have issues with soil seeping out of them.

This is the kind of thing, although we had some cheap generic ones from a local garden centre. They worked fine, although as the review say they will sag a bit if unsupported. On the the other hand they are more malleable.

Last edited:
Line it with a piece of kitchen roll, it will hold the soil temporarily when tubs are freshly filled; the soil will naturally be compacted and hold together overtime and with root activity so by the time the kitchen roll rots away it won't be an issue. It doesn't matter if the roots work their way through - you won't solve that - if the water can get through so will roots. If you don't want the roots to leave the tubs use ones without holes.

Thank you all for responses. I’m going to find if the garden centre have pond fabric mesh or not.

Back