• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Bucephalandra experiment

mr. luke

Just a little experiment to see how emersed bucephalandra 'ghost' will do uncovered at room humidity.
Roots and rhizome are in moss as it will wick the water nicely if I forget to top it up for a day or two.
I already know they do well with no heating, I've had them down to 12'c with no issues at all and they handle high temperatures well to (32 is the maximum I've experienced).
Sat on my shrimp tank so it gets indirect sunlight and led light.
eeff46c915636a1d5682fa14fc5eb022.jpg

7b1781fcd268e4d5d9e46bbf6d3643a7.jpg

Looks like a healthy specimen. What's your room humidity?

Not a clue. Would make it easier to collect if they can be kept like this. My seller seems to think it will work :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've heard that they can lose their shimmer when grown emersed.

They definitely look nicer grown submerged. It's not practical for me to collect them and keep them all submerged though :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dean that's correct.
Even of they are available to collect they are left in favour of the emergent plants as they are easier to ship :)

I've heard that burying the rhisome I. The substrate (including roots) can help with faster growth?

Dead kinda crispy :(
Plenty emersed at higher humidity doing great though :)
dead due to low humidity?

I find that this is similar with anubis. Can't get them to get used to low humidity in Sydney. ( 50% or less)

Yeh humidity.
Grows well emersed planted into moss or aquasoil (even play sand).
I don't mist them at all now and they grow nice coloured leaves contrary to popular belief.
I'm going try letting some grow out of the water on their own in a tank and see if they adapt better

I have had some in a little emersed tank for about a year but, I cant have very suitable conditions because they have hardy done anything in that time!
Mine are growing the same as they would submerged. Maybe 1 leaf per 2 weeks or so!

Back