• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Crypts

On APC there are loads of guys who grow their crypts emerse simply in plastic or net pots filled with Aquasoil or other aquatic soil/substrate and simply in tanks with water anywhere from halfway to up to the rim of the pots. The crypts grow well and flower like this. Some add small pumps to move water, ripple the surface and up the humidity but this will mean more topping up too.

Ed Seeley said:
On APC there are loads of guys who grow their crypts emerse simply in plastic or net pots filled with Aquasoil or other aquatic soil/substrate and simply in tanks with water anywhere from halfway to up to the rim of the pots. The crypts grow well and flower like this. Some add small pumps to move water, ripple the surface and up the humidity but this will mean more topping up too.

Thanks Ed.

APC eh? Another forum to look to...

Superman said:
It sounds like I'd have to nearly fully cover the plants first and then start lowering the water level so that the plants don't just melt away. Plus the current plants won't be able to stand up on their own!
let the water evaporate "naturally" then it wont be a sudden change.

I'd stick them in pots and just cover the pots by an inch or so. The submersed leaves will lay flat on the surface and then the plants should send up some new emersed leaves which will grow up out of the water. You can then lower the water level when they get going.

Thinking about it maybe you could even have a pump with a spray bar spraying onto the back of the tank above the water like a waterfall to keep the humidity up? (Evaporation would be huge though! :wideyed: :lol: )

Ed Seeley said:
Thinking about it maybe you could even have a pump with a spray bar spraying onto the back of the tank above the water like a waterfall to keep the humidity up? (Evaporation would be huge though! :wideyed: :lol: )

That would be a good idea, I just don't have a spare filter to do that. Especially, as I'm going away for a few weekends this month and also a two week holiday coming up.

Why don't you just seal the top of the tank with clingfilm. It'd be like those victorian plant jars but not.

Superman said:
Ed Seeley said:

That would be a good idea, I just don't have a spare filter to do that. Especially, as I'm going away for a few weekends this month and also a two week holiday coming up.

You could just put a pipe and spraybar on one of the powerheads you were on about couldn't you? Either way I wouldn't do it if you're going away. Might help your submersed crypts transition to emersed growth too. Or get a cheap fogger?

For pots Clark you could use little separate ones or look at the mutlilink plastic trays that you can buy easily from Garden centres. If you want to grow lots in there then there are some excellent ones called Rootrainers that I use for a lot of cuttings that are just that little bit deeper than normal plugs. Cheap clay pots might look best though and would soak some water up to help with the humidity.

So I bit the bullet...

using eco-complete for the substrate, just managed to use all the crypts.

20090511001.jpg

20090511002.jpg

Any comments are welcome.

So things are going ok in the tank, there's hardly been any evaporation so I've reduced the water level today and added a Mini-Fogger Mist Generator that is currently set to work 15 minutes every 2 hours.

The plants seem to be doing ok, nothing massive as yet but then most of the leaves are still in the water.

Any update on this Clark? (and welcome back from your hols!)
I am curious to know... Have you settled on a fert dosing method\schedule? and, Do you do water changes, if so how much\how often?

thanks!

Back