• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Eleocharis acicularis

zig

Anybody buy this at the local garden centre and try it in an aquarium? Will it die off before you get submersed growth.

Thankyou

i hvae tried, i didnt give it the best opportunity

went into apisto tank with no substrate, left it in the pot and almost all r/o water

lived for a while , never thrived and finally was overcome by algae, i would imagine it should be transferable and feel my loss was more down to poor care

andrew

Zig,

I bought some emersed E. parvula recently. What I did was plant it, then cut the whole lot down near to the substrate. It grows back at a pretty decent rate, so things shouldn`t look too bad.

If you leave the emersed growth to die, it will become a major algae magnet.

Dave.

Ive seen the same thing, thought excactly the same thing.

I would proberbly do as Dave says, cut it right back and plant it in a well maintained tank, should be fine. Any dying back, remove it asap.

Graeme.

Ok thanks everyone I will give it a try, I just picked up a large pot from the pond secion in the garden centre for €3 :D will give it a haircut and see how it goes, very cheap for the size of the pot, must be about 4x4 inches, makes normal size Tropica pots look tiny for half the price!

sorry to hijack but I just bought 3 pots of the same stuff and I haven't a clue how to plant it and to be honest, nothing about it other than its from tropica.
is it the smaller of the hair grasses or did I buy the wrong one?

Hi ,I bought plants for my aquarium in pots,can I leave the plants in the pots as it comes from the pet shop will they leave on it ?

What material does the plant pots contain?
:lol:
Regards
John

The plants generally come in rock wool. I ALWAYS take my plants out of the put and plant them in the substrate. The look is so much better than leaving them in the pots, IMO.

Dave.

If it's in rockwool it shouldn't pose any problems leaving it in the tank, but as Dave says it doesn't look good.
Unless you're sure it's immersed growth be sure to cut it down to 1cm as Tropica advises.

Back