• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed growing planters and plant recommendations . . .

Wookii

I have a future aquascape design racing through my mind, and would potentially like to include some emersed plants at the top of the tank without needing to build up substrate support from the aquarium base.

What pots or planters have other people used for this? I saw one YouTube video that utilised this sink tidy:

Amazon product ASIN B00004S1DJ
I have also see mention of a soap holder from Poundland mentioned. I'm not sure if they still sell it, as I couldn't find it on their website, but saw a similar item on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B000KKN0TS
And a corner variant:

Amazon product ASIN B000KKN0U2
Would these be suitable?

Do people generally place the planter substrate surface just above or just below the water level?

Also where is the best place for me to start searching for appropriate plants that can grow without issue in the typical dry atmosphere of a typical UK home, rather than requiring humid conditions? I've found this thread as a starter for 5! Are there any other recommended 'off-forum' resources or direct recommendations?

Hi all,

They are fine, however the suckers on them <"are useless">, so you need stainless steel, or <"acrylic hooks">, that fit over the glass rim, <"to anchor them in position">.

@hydrophyte (Devin Biggs) doesn't <"come on the forum any more">, but he still has his company in America and his posts were really useful.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, yes I was thinking I'd make some stainless steel hooks - no shortage of that material to hand for me!

That thread I linked to is a good one, and he has a number of Riparium threads that I intend to read. I was pleased to read his comment:

. . . It is my impression that they are best grown in open-top ripariums with pretty good air circulation, rather than high-humidity setups.

Which answer ones of my concerns above on the required humidity.

I'm having success growing Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Rotala Rotundifolia and Eleocharis Acicularis mini emersed. All of which either grew out of the tank naturally, or a cutting was missed during a trim and started growing.

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_173619287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201215_173619287_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20201215_173626180.jpg
    IMG_20201215_173626180.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 169
I'm having success growing Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Rotala Rotundifolia and Eleocharis Acicularis mini emersed. All of which either grew out of the tank naturally, or a cutting was missed during a trim and started growing.

That looks great, have you just attached plants to the exposed wood?

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

So in terms of placement of these planters, it is sufficient to have the base under water, or does water need to be able to come completely over the top - or does it depend on the plants used?

@PARAGUAY I see yours just has the base slightly in the water - is that because those are terrestrial plants or is that just the best level to have the water?

Hi Wookii it's the quarantine tank it's a peace lily . You could use them outside the tank to with a potted house plant for effect or aquatic emmersed in the tank . Best thing in a set you get range of sizes no suckers so just hang on. Darrel@ point about failing suckers on heavier caddies

Back