• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Growth Flowers

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi all, I've been thinking about planting some stems at the back of my new shallow scape with the intention of letting them grow out of the water so they will flower.
Which stems or other plants with attractive flowers would you recommend? Bearing in mind that the tank is pretty diminutive.

Will you have a even more shallow swampy part with the big piece of DW ?? Remebering one of you last pics it looks like you do. :)
Then you might like pogestemon sp. flowers, like th erectus and it seems to flower quite easily, since there are loads of WK pictures to find with this plant flowering.
But i doubt it will grow out of the water of planted to deep, i have it now planted 30 cm deep and still waiting for it to reach the top...
But the flower is realy a stunner.. :)

Roy didn't you get that somewhat Rubra to flower also? Actualy forgot it's name and how the flower looked, but the color of the plant is nice, even emersed it was redish.

Hoh and i had the Lobelia cardinalis growing out of my pond a few years ago, dark red stem and leaves with firy red flowers.. No idea actualy how the mini version does emersed. The normal one easily reaches a meter.

Will you have a even more shallow swampy part with the big piece of DW
I do, quite a lot of it will be above the waterline and at the back behind the DW is only around 15cm deep to the top of the substrate.

I do, quite a lot of it will be above the waterline and at the back behind the DW is only around 15cm deep to the top of the substrate.
15 cm can still be a bit deep for some smaller plants if you do not pregrow them emersed large enough. Anyway you probably will get emersed form anyway but very young and small. Then if planted at 15 cm deep totaly submersed they need to go in transition twice, first from emersed to submersed and back again to emersed. I noticed some plants just not willing to break the surface once in submersed form, at least not as long it's not forced to do that because of all getting so dense there's no other place to go. Not as drastic but like what's called Hydrosere process in English.

Not as stem tho, but gave some young shoots Hesperantha coccinea a try in my tank at about 15 to 20 cm deep, didn't make it it was to small. Probably just died of having not enough co2 to survive long enough to get to te surface. Also tried some rotala's they refused to go emersed, the indica did but rather dies off then transition to emerse. Could be a light issue for some, i tried Rotala colorata in my pond and it did transition from sub to emersed but getting full sun.In the tank it just doesn't just creeps along the surface submersed..

I believe i've seen some pictures here at ukaps recently of zosterifolia heteranthera growing out of the tank and flower.. :) But i guess also with this must be a pretty dense mass to make it do that.

Regular Hygro Corymbosa would probably look out of place.But the Siamensis 53b has narrower leaves.I presume this variety has the same flowers

If you check on Viktor Lantos - Green Aqua- you should be able to find pic.s of Limnophila hippuridoides flowering in (one of) his show-tanks.
Lindernia rotundifolia will very easily flower - and flower continuously.......

Back