• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Staurogyne.

spyder

As I had some small trimmings over from the brutal hacking, I decided to try growing this emersed. I put and inch or so of OK soil into an empty ice cream tub, dropped in trimmings, most are just resting on the substrate they are so short.

15-4-2012
2vamaso.jpg

Well I thought my parents who were tank sitting, cat sitting and African grey sitting would of let them dry out but they must of kept up with the daily misting. Came back to this after our 10 day break.

27-5-2012
1znbj7q.jpg

18-6-2012
34gkmro.jpg

28-6-2012 - Trimmed
2ymggao.jpg

I'm really liking the broader emersed form and now wondering what to do with the plants. I have 20cm and a 30cm P@H cube to hand so may look at an emersed Iwagumi with some DHG and HC along with the Staurogyne.

youre the staurogyne kid! in water, out of water you just grow it :D
Emersed iwagumi sounds great :thumbup:

Looks good. I was thinking about using this plant in a scape so I may buy one and keep it you are right now. Untill I'm ready to plant it.

Keen to go green :)

Ady34 said:
youre the staurogyne kid! in water, out of water you just grow it :D
Emersed iwagumi sounds great :thumbup:

Cheers, I find it behaves for me, :thumbup:

Still thinking whether to do Iwagumi in 20 or 30cm cube. Mrs says 20 so I guess we'll leave it at that. :shh:

Westyggx said:
Looks so fresh mate I've tried this emersed many times and failed hard.

Thanks. How did yours fail? You should try again, I'll send you some snippets when I next trim the tank. :thumbup:

wazuck said:
Looks good. I was thinking about using this plant in a scape so I may buy one and keep it you are right now. Untill I'm ready to plant it.

Keen to go green :)

That or get some trimmings, plant it up this way. You may get some transitional melt when you submerge it though.

I'm trying some more emersed trimmings in a cheap 24 cell propagator from Wilko's. I got some DHG, little hydro, tropica 53b, a crypt wendetii green and some small vesuvius. They only went in a few days ago. Will try and get a starter snap of those soon. I used a little compost'y mix for those. I'm hoping the DHG goes well for a good start in my emersed cube. :D

South facing windowsill, or they just dried out? We've got a south facing conservatory but it was just way too hot. It killed of some emersed Bacopa last September. The kitchen stays cool and only has morning sun.

I've never had the lid sealed on them, just resting on top. I think in a week or two they will be pushing the lid off. :wideyed:

Congrats on that growth ! Not wanting to put any kind of damper on things, but I wanna ask about the second pic. It looks like holes in some of the leaves, and I had that in some of my immersed Stauro. What causes this ?

Whitey89 said:
Westyggx said:
That's water splashes Chris not holes
:lol:
:rolleyes: :oops: :clap: my bad. can i blame the holes in mine on that then ? :p
Actually I reckon my issue was fert related as since going EI I have not seen the problem :)

Yes just water droplets. No holes.

If co2 is unlimited it should be fert related. I've not ferted them yet, just tank water from EI tank to start off and sprayed with tap water daily.

Will be visiting a LFS which has some rock like mini landscape so will keep em peeled for some pieces.

Still going with this. I've left the lid off over the past 2 weeks, still give it a spray every day when passing. I was considering plating into my new project but will leave it going in here. Will trim it back soon.

34gkmro.jpg

The other bit's I started have shown some signs of progression. A vesuvius has put out 2 new leaves. :D

67vb4w.jpg

Proper little Percy Thrower ;) Cant get over how good that stauro is looking. How long has it taken to grow to that stage ?

Hmm, 1st big Stauro trim was April 9th, I think I started this about a week later. Say about 10 weeks.

I got a couple of small brown patches on a couple of leaves. Not sure if it's lack of humidity, heat scorch of fert related but it's minor.

It seems to have slowed down so I think a ferting is in order. Nothing like a little trim to get those side shoots growing. I probably trim it the weekend and find something to plant the trimmings in. Thank goodness for garages. ;)

Updated 1st post with new pic so they can be seen together. :thumbup:

Westyggx said:
I so want to try this... looks lush mate.

What do you guys think about growing in a greenhouse ? Too hot and dry ?

Back