• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed Tank 2 new pics

Derek Tweedie

This is my first Journal so please bear with me.I found an old show jar lying in the shed the other day so I thought I would try and grow some plants emersed which can be used in a later setup. The tank measures 8x6x6"

WP_000352-1.jpg

I'm going to be using general garden compost to grow some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and also some Hydrocotyle verticillata. I will post some pics once they are in the tank.

Any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Re: First attempt at emersed plants

Hi Derek, that's a nice little tank for emersed growing. Is that a sliding lid? That will be useful. For the first few days it might help to keep it closed, but then you can gradually open it and lower the humidity slightly.

If you can, I would suggest using a substrate like Amazonia, Flora Base or Fluval Stratum. I've found things grow so much faster than in regular soil. It will work either way though.

When watering it, don't allow any standing water. The soil should be wet, but not flooded in my experience. That will stop algae growth.

Will you be using window light?

Tom

Yup its got a sliding lid. I wont be using a light but it will be placed near a window. Would you recommend using a spray bottle for watering. I also got some Anubius coffeefolia which i might try to grow aswell.

Well that's the plants in.

WP_000354.jpg

Just normal compost Tom :(

WP_000356.jpg

That's the Anubius Coffeefolia planted in the middle to make a sort of centre piece.

WP_000360.jpg

That's the Hydrocotyle Verticillata around the base of the Anubius and the Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis at the edges. I have a mental picture in my head of how I want it to look but not got a clue if it will turn out.

Tom how do I know if there is enough humidity in the tank. I moistened the soil so the new plants take root. So fingers crossed from here on in.

I'm just wondering if that's enough substrate. I gave mine 2-4" depth, and they've used all of it for rooting from what I can see.

I would try it a bit wetter than that too. Needs to be well soaked initially I found, but not flooded. Keep the lid all but closed to start with, and you should see condensation on the glass after a time. Especially if on a windowsill in sunlight.

I had trouble with Anubias, in that they went a tad crispy. It may be that it would send out new leaves that are better suited to the lack of water.

Tom

I added a bit more soil today and also a wee bit more water as you suggested. I noticed this morning that condensation was on the glass which is a good sign.

Well a week on and not much to report. I took out the Anubius Coffeefolia and put it in my rescaped tank( Pics to follow in a new journal). I have seen new shoots coming out of the Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis so something is working.

Emersed Tank new pics

Thought I would add some new photos for you guys. I have a question about my Hydrocotyle it has new leaves on it but I am wondering if they will get any taller.
WP_000395.jpg

Here's a pic to show you.
Thought I would post some shots of my new shoots aswell.
WP_000396.jpg

very cool.

i got a number of books on Terrariums for my birthday and have been slowly building up spare ADA like jars to try some Wabi's in. It's always interesting to see how plants I'm so used to seeing in aquariums grow emersed.

best regards,
John

Re: Emersed Tank new pics

Another week gone by and I have decided to move some of the plants before they get to established. I have added a small bit of wood with a wee bit Xmas moss on it to see if that will grow.
WP_000411.jpg

Its still early days yet but I hope it will all grow the way I want it to.

Re: Emersed Tank new pics

As you can see in my last post I have added a bit wood with some Xmas moss on it. Since then I have added a lot more to it and tied it to the wood. But the question I have is how do I keep it from drying out? Currently I dip it in the tank every second day to keep it moist,but I don't want to keep doing as it will disrupt the scape in the long term. I don't really want to add more water to substrate and run the risk of getting algae. Any suggestions?

Re: Emersed Tank moss question

Hi all,
But the question I have is how do I keep it from drying out?
It should stay damp if the lid is sealed, if it isn't and you don't want to/can't seal it, you can either use an ultrasonic fogger (you can buy these for vivaria etc) or you can just spray it with RO/rain/tank water via a plant sprayer (Wilkinsons or similar do these for a couple of quid).

Cheers Darrel

Re: Emersed Tank moss question

Got a couple of new pics for you guys. things seem to be growing well.
WP_000433.jpg

Took the lid off to show the Hydrocotyle growth.
WP_000434.jpg

All comments tips welcome.

Thanks guys the moss is going well apart from the sticky up bit of the wood, it has turned brown but there is some small green bits left. I think that they must be near the clumps at the bottom and getting moisture that way. Have to say that im pleased with this,its my first time at trying emersed growing.

Back