• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

English woodland Long overdue update

Re: English woodland (Picture update 4th dec)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments,Sam the shrimps are doing ok,only lost one ,

regards,
john.

Re: English woodland (Shock horror)

Hi All,i dont get to see my setup with the lights on monday to friday as i work 3pm to midnight at the moment,to my shock and horror, when the lights came on saturday afternoon i was greeted with BBA every where :twisted: ,the only thing i did was turn the co2 down slightly and turned off the koralia nano,(which is now back on) the week before,so to try and eradicate this i have trimmed all the infected leaves (which was quite a few) and upped the co2 back to 6bps,and did a 50% water change and a good clean up all round,cleaned the substrate (not that it was very dirty)i have also reduced the lighting back down to 6 hrs from 7 ,it just goes to show how finely balanced our setups are,altering one thing affects many others things and so on,its a pity really as every thing was going very well,one thing i was thinking, do you think i have too much lighting over this tank as most of the plants are slow growing 36w over 60 ltrs (10 gals roughly ) would i better with just the one light 18w ?,

Hope you all have a lovely xmas and a happy new year :thumbup: ,

regards,
john.

Bad luck with the BBA.
Ive been tackling it for some weeks now, and seem to be winning.
On your question about lighting, i had 48w over 140ltr, and for the last month have been running with only one tube in 24w.
The plants continue to grow, but the BBA has slowed down. Obviously i cant say its the light, but i feel it has helped.

You have too much light John. Pummelling you plants with 36 megawatts of gamma radiation for 6 hours instead of for 7 hours is only a token gesture. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Bad luck John! Get that light reduced and get your plants growing!

Bad luck John! Get that light reduced and get your plants growing!

Hi all,sorry for the long over due update,not much really much to report,all the algae issues i had have been resolved and every thing is going well,i have changed the lights from one super fish 18w,two two 11w dennerle lights, i am now getting a nice red tinge in the pogostemon erectus and the h, pinafitida,

a quick hand held shot before a trim two weeks ago

IMG_7570.jpg

thanks
john.

PS: i have finally convinced the wife to let me have another setup,i am thinking along the lines of a opti-white 80x40x40cm,but i havent made my mind up yet.

Lovely John! A really nice, clean looking scape, bet the moss has taken a lot of maintenance to get it looking that good.

I have a 90x45x45 nice size tank.... plenty of space to let the imagination run wild! Will look forward to seeing your new project come together.

Cheers Ben

That moss looks amazing, the tanks spotless you must be really happy with this one mate.

I don't think 60l is a nano! ;)

Great work John, good to have you posting again!

Fantastic John! I can confirm that the moss is fantastically healthy, as John very kindly sent me a bag full recently, and it was the healthiest I've ever seen, even after 24 hours in the post!

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh again mate!

sanj said:
That is really nice John, you certainly have overcome any algae issues.

I say go bigger on the tank while your wife has given you a window... quick before it closes again! :D

Im thinking 120x60x60cm.

Thanks you Sanj,i think 80x40x40 is big enough at my age,thats why i sold my 5 footer,loved it but it was hard work,

john.

B7fec said:
Lovely John! A really nice, clean looking scape, bet the moss has taken a lot of maintenance to get it looking that good.

I have a 90x45x45 nice size tank.... plenty of space to let the imagination run wild! Will look forward to seeing your new project come together.

Cheers Ben

Hi Ben,the moss is very easy as it happen,s i trim it about every 3/4 weeks,itrimmed the stourgoyne back really hard and it,s carpeting well now,

john.

Back