• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

English woodland Long overdue update

Re: English woodland FISH IDEA,S NEEDED PLSE

Hi all,any suggestions for fish,i need to have something that are not going to jump out as its open topped,ones i have thought of so far are rasbora maculata,galaxy rasbora,any suggestions for other small species appreciated,
regards,
john.

Looking great john. Good vision.

Regards to fish, I cant really help. My fish choice, is always poor.

My old favourite Dario dario (scarlet badis) would probably look great in there, as would sparkling gouramis. Or for something slightly larger to complement a small group of raspbora you could look at a trio of one of the Badis sp. or a non-splendens Bettas.

Or if you want something exceptionally charismatic for their size, you could probably get 3 dwarf puffers in there, although there might not be quite enough cover for them until the plants grow in a bit.

john starkey said:
Hi all,any suggestions for fish,i need to have something that are not going to jump out as its open topped,ones i have thought of so far are rasbora maculata,galaxy rasbora,any suggestions for other small species appreciated,
regards,
john.

English Woodland?

Surely there's only one fish to chose...

Stickleback :wave:

There's so much hight I'd suggest a deeper bodied fish, bentos tetra or white fin, black phantoms, something like that.

Thanks for all the fish suggestions,i want to go with small fish so i am thinking maybe galaxy rasboras,or rasboras maculata,but i am still undecided, :rolleyes:
cheers ,
john.

hogan53 said:
Hi John
What about cherry barbs or ember tetras.
hoggie

Hi Hoggie,now cherry barbs i do like,they were one of the first fish i kept back in the 70,s when i was a youngster,ember tetra,s is a nice fish too, oooooo choices :lol: ,
regards,
john.

have you thought of dwarf livebearers, like dwarf platties.
If you are thinking about something etherial looking why not feather/ribbon/swallow livebearers/endlers.

Hi John
I like the deep cherry red colour of the male tetras and they don't grow that big.3/4inch
I have some ember tetras these are even smaller in size.
hoggie

embers are nice, but i'm partial to platinum tetras. how about a few pencil fish?

Mark Evans said:
embers are nice, but i'm partial to platinum tetras. how about a few pencil fish?

Pencil fish,never thought of those sounds a good idea Mark :thumbup: ,cheers mate.

I have found this fish whilst searching around,its called Microdevario kubota,s (formerly micro rasbora kubota,s)it looks a lovely little fish and i think a few of these would suit my nano very nicely,Has anyone ever kept these fish ?,i read on the PFK site that maidenhead aquatics oxford had some for sale a while back for £1.75 each,

cheers john.

Yellow Neons? I'm pretty certain George kept them in his very first nano. A beautiful fish once coloured up.

I'm going to second the pencilfish. I have these in my 2' and although they are the only inhabitants other than shrimp they shoal together and have done for 3 years. I'm in the process of starting a 3' on the lines of a Yorkshire Dales beck for them and for a tank based on an English landscape I think pencilfish are perfect. Any of the really bright coloured fish, although beautiful, wouldn't look "English" if you follow my drift. That's my take on it anyway...

I forget what the real red one is called, but it's a type of pencil fish. when coloured up there stunning.

This was from early Autumn blush

pencil3.jpg

Ohh I had forgotten the Pencil Fish, I think those pictured are the Dwarf Coral Red

Back