• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Epiphytes for high light

EA James

Morning all,

Is there an Epiphyte that prefers higher light?
For my rescape i have a few sections of wood that will be quite high and near the water surface, i'd like to attach some plants to these sections but it will be quite close to the light.
I know Anubias sp like low light so they're out of the question, is there something that will appreciate the higher light?
Needs to be quite small and compact as the wood is like spindly branches sticking up, if that makes sense?!
Cheers all, James

Hygrophila pinnatifida can be grown as an epiphyte and prefers medium to high light. In fact, you don’t get the red color without high light.

I second that! It's a beautiful plant and grows very aggressively once it get's going. I stuck 3 small tropica pots to my rocks and it's taken over, i've had runners reach the back glass from the front. I think it grows just as fast as my rotala. :eek:

It's one of my favourite plants and can be very colourful under the right conditions. Make sure co2 is on point otherwise if any co2 related algae appears it seems to spread very fast through out the plant compared to others.

I second that! It's a beautiful plant and grows very aggressively once it get's going. I stuck 3 small tropica pots to my rocks and it's taken over, i've had runners reach the back glass from the front. I think it grows just as fast as my rotala. :eek:
H pinnatifda didn’t do well in my medium tech set up. I tried it twice and both time failed. It’s an usual and beautiful stem that I may try it a third time by tying it up high..

Though not an epiphite, a number of Hydrocotyle species are vining stem that will self attach to drift wood without rooting in the substrate. I had Brazilian pennywort before and it does well in low light, so much so that it got too wild for me I had to get rid of.

Just about any stem can be tied to wood and grow as an epiphyte. Ive seen YouTube demonstrations on making bonsai tree by tying red Ludwigia to drift wood. Look remarkable like a red Japanese maple, but I wonder how easy it is to maintain long term.

Microsorum pteropus Needle leaf, definitively as a fern that requires some light and CO² to thrive.. At times hard to find in the trade, unfortunately. I guess it's rare because it's requirements/difficulty to grow...

Top left corner... :)
dscf7481-jpg.jpg

Bolbitis sp. can handle it too as long as there is enough CO² but a tad more prone to catch BBA.

Morning all,
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't very clear on my post re reading it, i'm looking for something smallish really and i don't have co2 either
I have Bolbitis Heudelotii and it grows well in my tank, it took a while but when it got going it really did!

Microsorum pteropus Needle leaf, definitively as a fern that requires some light and CO² to thrive..

I've had good success with that in a low tech tank dosing just liquid carbon and, when I got bored of dosing that, totally low tech. I found it did need some NPK ferts from time to time or the leaves looked a sickly yellow. I would post a picture but I've just discovered Photobucket is no longer a free service... :mad:

Back