• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Equipment and bits checklist - Am I missing anything key?

Dominik K

Hello

I am taking my first steps into scaping and fishkeeping.
For my first outing I am looking at an Iwagumi style set up.

I have the following thusfar:

WIO Vistas P Classic Aquarium × 1 60P 64L (comes with under mat)
Purpose built cabinet with under storage
Oase Filtrosmart Thermo 100 external filter + clear glass skimmer inlet + outlet upgrade.
Trimming/scaping tool kit

Substrate -

Bottom layer: JBL ProScape Volcano Mineral
Soil top layer: Tropica Aquarium Soil

To get list:
PH testing kit
Some Aqua Safe - Not sure how much aqua safe I need..

As this is going to be an iwagumi I am mostly going to be using rock hardscapes which I have already mostly as well as various carpeting plants (monte carlo and mosses etc.).
Been reading through the "Ecology of planted aquarium" and reading various internet bits and youtube stuff for me research.

Is there any other key components I am missing ?

My big questions is:
Is CO2 injection absolutely necessary? I understand it speeds up plant growth but ultimately this is not necessary?

No CO2 is not absolutly neccesary but keep to the "easy" plant range for now if you not using CO2. Have a look through the journals and definetly the tutorials.

Oase Filtrosmart Thermo 100 external filter + clear glass skimmer inlet + outlet upgrade.
Get the 200 instead. The price difference is minimal and the 200 has ~3x the filter volume and slightly higher flow rate.

Bottom layer: JBL ProScape Volcano Mineral
Soil top layer: Tropica Aquarium Soil
This is a small tank, so using only aquasoil will not break the bank and will help providing nutrients to the plants. I would suggest using the Soil as bottom layer and Soil Powder as the top layer. The smaller grains of the Powder look nicer in smaller aquariums and makes planting easier.

Some Aqua Safe - Not sure how much aqua safe I need.
As much as possible. Get the 5 liter jug. You will be using the conditioner on every water change. The larger containers are the best value for money.

Same reasoning applies to liquid fertilizers, which are missing from your list.

. Is there any other key components I am missing ?
I assume you have the lights already, but you will need a timer or control device to operate them. Plus cleaning materials and pipes for siphoning and change water…

Yes you will need some TNC Complete fertiliser, which all plants need to grow well. I would also suggest that instead of getting Aqua Safe, you get Seachem Prime - Aqua Safe (I've found at least) is watered down a lot and is quite overpriced for what you get. Add a thermometer and a net to the list.

You also need a waterchanging kit - some tubing to siphon the water (you can get it with a little pump to squeeze if you don't want to suck on the end), 2 buckets, a 2l jug (just very useful to have), maybe a gravel vac (I just use the tubing though).

To get an iwagumi looking like all the photos, you will need CO2, but you can still learn a lot and get a beautiful tank from no CO2. You could look at the Brazillian style which is like an evolved Iwagumi - focusing on rockwork, but more playful and open with the plants. The show scapes also use CO2, but you can do whatever you like and can use any plants, it's how you place them and how you tend to them that will make it work. As you're just starting, I agree that easy plants are best, there will be harder plants you can grow, but it's best to get a feel for it first. If you give us a plant list we can tell you if anything isn't right and what it could be substituted for.

Get the 200 instead. The price difference is minimal and the 200 has ~3x the filter volume and slightly higher flow rate.

This is a small tank, so using only aquasoil will not break the bank and will help providing nutrients to the plants. I would suggest using the Soil as bottom layer and Soil Powder as the top layer. The smaller grains of the Powder look nicer in smaller aquariums and makes planting easier.

As much as possible. Get the 5 liter jug. You will be using the conditioner on every water change. The larger containers are the best value for money.

Same reasoning applies to liquid fertilizers, which are missing from your list.

I assume you have the lights already, but you will need a timer or control device to operate them. Plus cleaning materials and pipes for siphoning and change water…
Hi

Thanks for the advice.
I already got the 100 unfortunately some time ago (over 14 days remote buying policy).
Although I'm sure if I kicked up a fuss they'd let me return it I think I'm going to stick with it. Its spec says up to 100L. As my tank is only 64L that should be sufficient hopefully. I can always upgrade later down the line if its not good enough.

Ill probably pick up some powder as well. The main reason for grabbing some JBL is that im planning on having some elevation.

No I haven't sorted out the lighting yet.
I've posted a thread looking for recommendation in the lighting sub forum. There's a lot of natural light coming into the living room being on the first floor by the sea facing south east so that will certainly help. My missus plants are thriving.
Yes you will need some TNC Complete fertiliser, which all plants need to grow well. I would also suggest that instead of getting Aqua Safe, you get Seachem Prime - Aqua Safe (I've found at least) is watered down a lot and is quite overpriced for what you get. Add a thermometer and a net to the list.

You also need a waterchanging kit - some tubing to siphon the water (you can get it with a little pump to squeeze if you don't want to suck on the end), 2 buckets, a 2l jug (just very useful to have), maybe a gravel vac (I just use the tubing though).

To get an iwagumi looking like all the photos, you will need CO2, but you can still learn a lot and get a beautiful tank from no CO2. You could look at the Brazillian style which is like an evolved Iwagumi - focusing on rockwork, but more playful and open with the plants. The show scapes also use CO2, but you can do whatever you like and can use any plants, it's how you place them and how you tend to them that will make it work. As you're just starting, I agree that easy plants are best, there will be harder plants you can grow, but it's best to get a feel for it first. If you give us a plant list we can tell you if anything isn't right and what it could be substituted for.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Seachem Prime. Got a small amount of aqua safe so far so will be able to compare.
I will get some TNC complete fertiliser - Good shout.

Yep - I need to get some brand new bucket and jug for water changes plus some sort of pump. I got tweezers

To be honest once I get some soil and rocks in the tank and start playign around with scaping I will have more of an idea if I want to do a true iwagumi or incorporate some brazilian elements (which I kind of originally wanted to do.
I have a vision of a tree growing out of a stone henge type of diorama. Or a henge gate type of thing. No idea if once im scaping ill be convinced either of these works lol.

Ill probably pick up some powder as well. The main reason for grabbing some JBL is that im planning on having some elevation.

The lava rock is a good way to increase the elevation. But consider buying lava rock/gravel online or on a local garden shop. You can buy 20 Kg for the same price as a bag of JBL and, after a good wash, they are the same. You can also consider using some "egg crate" to secure the hardscape (especially wood) and increase height while adding structural stability.

1623855955445.png

Update.: fertiliser, tools for planting/scaping lily pipes and aqua safe come through the post :)
Light is in transit

It seems the JBL stuff is gone OOP. Cant seem to purchase it from anywhere
I only found it in one European store which now cancelled my order due to not having stock :(

20210617_212116.jpg

Seeing as I have a hefty 9L bag of Tropica Aquarium Soil already, would that be sufficient with some powder on top? Or its worth investing in some volcanic mineral rocks?
The JBL stuff was recommended on one of George Farmers vids a while back so I just copied his list of stuff really.

Attachments

• 20210617_212116.jpg
    20210617_212116.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
Back