• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eradicating Riccia?

Nutrient limitation or herbicide, one obviously works faster than the other. ;)

Half Jokes aside I would just keep plucking away at it manually until you win the fight, anything you add to kill it outright will likely kill everything else, woody/stemmy plants may fare better under nutrient limitation but manual removal wins out.

:)

Dose Glutaldehyde at 2 ppm (Seachem Excel recommended 5x dosage after WC) daily for a week. I did it one time to fight ick and had the collateral benefit of wiping out all volunteered mosses (Riccia, Xmas and Java moss) in my tank that I had hard time getting rid of in the past. None of my fish and plants were affected, but watch out for a few Glut sensitive plants such as Vals or Anacheris. Glut is an ingredient of Seachem Paraguard to treat parasites and it is harmless to fish, shrimp and most plants if dosed according to instruction (under 6ppm daily) daily.

Last edited:
My carpet is infested with it, spends hours getting it out and lost most of my Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' in the process of getting the Riccia out with the runners running higher in the carpet, however the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis 'micro swords' are doing Ok - their runners must just deeper so when getting the Riccia out they dont get pulled up.

Dose Glutaldehyde at 2 ppm (Seachem Excel recommended 5x dosage after WC) daily for a week.

did you do a WC daily ?

Worth considering just take a few samples off mosses out I like first :angelic:

did you do a WC daily ?

Worth considering just take a few samples off mosses out I like first :angelic:

Dose 2 ppm daily without WC for one week. Glut‘s half life is about 10 hr, and will be degraded to nearly nothing in 24 hr. Do WC only if you observe stress of your fish or shrimp. Most plants should be fine.

Do not under dose. When I dosed 5x after weekly WC and 1x daily for liquid carbon according to Excel instruction, the mosses were persistent.

@tiger15

Just for clarification - seachem 'Excel' advise

1589884987600.png

Which did you dose-

1. Initial '5ml/40l x5' after WC then '5ml/40l x5' per day for rest of week
2. Initial '5ml/40l x5' after WC then '5ml/200l x5' per day for rest of week
3. Initial '5ml/200l x5' after WC then '5ml/200l x5' per day for rest of week

Cheers

Zeus

I did get rid of it, but i didn't do anything specific other than keep removing it manually. Same story for duckweed.. It can take quite a while and you have to be on top of it regularly... In the end, you win... Persistence pays off... :)

It can take quite a while and you have to be on top of it regularly... In the end, you win... Persistence pays off..

I have tried, however with may carpet being dense and 50cm below water it is very time consuming , think I'm in a lose-lose serionio 😭 , even been tempted to restart tank some times 🤯 so worth a try

Hi all,
I have this problem, but the other way around. I spent about an hour last night, carefully removing the poor, spindly, individual fronds of Riccia from the spare floating plants (before I throw them in the pond) and repatriating the Riccia to the tank.
I have tried, however with may carpet being dense and 50cm below water it is very time consuming
I know this is a <"path of least resistance"> answer, but how about just skimming of the bits of Riccia that reach the surface?

After that take the broad brush approach and only ever look at your carpet from a distance, it will be lovely, lush and green and you won't be able to see all the Riccia in it.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I have this problem, but the other way around. I spent about an hour last night, carefully removing the poor, spindly, individual fronds of Riccia from the spare floating plants (before I throw them in the pond) and repatriating the Riccia to the tank. I know this is a <"path of least resistance"> answer, but how about just skimming of the bits of Riccia that reach the surface?

After that take the broad brush approach and only ever look at your carpet from a distance, it will be lovely, lush and green and you won't be able to see all the Riccia in it.

cheers Darrel

Yes is does:D , then you look close and all the riccia is slowly choking everything, flow will drop in the carpet, CO2 supply will decrease to the carpet then carpet will melt, plus making cleaning the substrate tricky also ...............

There are some areas where the Riccia is more dense and the carpet is really struggling, think its down to poor CO2.

Worth a try with the Excel IMO

@tiger15

Just for clarification - seachem 'Excel' advise

View attachment 148761

Which did you dose-

1. Initial '5ml/40l x5' after WC then '5ml/40l x5' per day for rest of week
2. Initial '5ml/40l x5' after WC then '5ml/200l x5' per day for rest of week
3. Initial '5ml/200l x5' after WC then '5ml/200l x5' per day for rest of week

Cheers

Zeus
Use the initial dosage, that is, 1 capful (5ml) for every 40 L (10 US gal) every day for a week. Since SeaChem Excel has 1.5% Glutaraldehyde, it is equivalent to 2 ppm Glut. I use Metricide 14 that contains 2.6% Glut, and the equivalent dosage in proportional calculation is 2.9 ml per 40 L.

The Excel recommended daily 5 ml per 200 L dosage is too weak to kill mosses. Hand pulling won’t work either. as I tried it for 6 months, and the mosses kept coming back.

First dose done yesterday 65ml dose in 500l tank, nothing dead (or its been eaten), dosed all my tanks at same time

I'm going to dose at lights off tonight, then the Excel should have a much longer active period to zap the mosses

I finished the 2% daily dose last Sunday, the Riccia has taken a bit hit. So waiting to see if it comes back. Can still see it in the tank/carpet but thats only to be expected. Will see how it goes over next few weeks, Some of my others moses look like they have survived as well :oops: Time will tell

I have been meaning to post again for some time about this, after a few weeks there did seem to be more Riccia in the carpet, however the Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) I introduced a while back have been doing well, so with the MTS being burrowing in nature i thought the appearance of the Riccia above the carpet may be due to the MTS burrowing down and pushing up the Riccia to the surface, so I thought 'Patience my Padawan' so I collected some Riccia from tank popped it in a glass and stuck it on a south facing window sill
1598214090264.png

To date both the Riccai in my tank and in the glass have shown signs of recovery, the Excel did hit them hard, but not hard enough and the second dosing period I did for two weeks.

So I either except the Riccia or hit it harder. My old Pharmacology professor always said the dose we should use should be as strong as possible to kill the organism in a short as timeframe as possible without permanent harm or detriment to the host. In this case the tank is the host. So I'm think 10ml per 40L so 125ml per day in 500L tank o_O, also think it would be best if I trimmed the carpet hard first
1598215111191.png

As my carpet is quite deep in places. Edit forgot to add some of the Riccia is also growing well with some getting the light green colour. But only in patches I am currently running the tank at lower light intensities, [CO2] and ferts

The other thing I expected is for the Excel @ 5ml/40L to kill off all other mosses, they was hit also but have also recovered.

Rinse repeat time came around. So I trimmed the whole carpet bach hard, removed as much of the Riccia as possible took hours/days to do, then dosed the Excel

Started of dosing 120ml of excel daily for a few days no fish or shrimp was dying so increased it to 150ml daily, thought I might stand a chance of success. Did it for well over a week and the riccia took a big hit

and a week later the Riccia is still growing :eek: Dont know if its my hard water affecting the potency of the Excel or what, but the words - EPIC FAIL spring to mind

If any one thinks of putting Riccia in their tank - Please think twice then think again then don't do it. Its looks very cool at first but long term once it gets establish it takes over. The only way I can get it out of my tank is a complete rescape taking great care not to use the same plants as it only takes little to start the whole process again. I never put Riccia in my tank to start off with a little came from a plant that's all.

If you see the Riccia hit hard, but recovered when you stop dosing, it is working but you haven’t dosed long enough to root them out. I dosed 2 ppm daily for 10 days and my mosses were gone, but I continue to dose weekly after water change as a routine algae prevention and the mosses have no chance to return. I had a small patch to treat, while you have an entire bottom covered so longer treatment is needed. It’s comforting that your shrimp are fine, but not surprising as toxicity test showed that Glut is toxic to glass shrimp at 40 ppm, so you still have a long way to go. When I dose weekly after water change, I administer the full amount before filling up the tank, so the transitional dosage can be as high as 8 ppm.

So by my calculations I was dosing about 4.8ppm Glut. No mosses was killed either, they was all fine. The other reason I stopped dosing is it looks like I will be moving in next 3months, so the tank will be being shutdown regardless of the Riccia. So it will be a rescape, so good time to irradiate the Riccia.

Back