• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Eruption', my lockdown scape

Hi @steveno

That's a great scape, I'll follow this journal to see how it progresses.

As you know I bought the Jebao 3.4 (mainly on your advice) and it arrived this morning.

Really easy to set up, but I did have to reboot my router before it would recognise the Jebao.

I've been following your comments on how to dose on alternative days - and that would work fine - but I still can't see how you could program in the typical rest day?

I've decided to go the other route. I'm going to dose macros daily 1 hour before the lights come on. Excel the same, and micros daily in the evening around 23:30pm.

Both my macro & micro have been 20ml x 3 times a week, I'll just change them to 9ml x 7 times a week.

I suspect the real issue with mixing macros & micros is when you do it in high concentration in the dosing bottle.

Once it's in the tank it's far more diluted and I suspect less of an issue - still adding them 9 hrs apart just in case.

(Edit: I should mention I've set up the dosing programs already, but I'm on hold waiting for the tubing and tube hanging clamp to arrive, while I DIY some dosing bottles)

Hiya Nick,

I'm glab I was able assist you, I've had plenty of help from here in the pass, its great that I'm able give something back 🙂.

I've decided to go the other route. I'm going to dose macros daily 1 hour before the lights come on. Excel the same, and micros daily in the evening around 23:30pm.

This is a good suggestion, I think I may adopt this method as well, thanks for the suggestion.

Thought it would be interesting post a side by side shot of my tank under both lights. The picture have been un-doctored in any way straight from my phone camera.

20200715_162430.jpg

ADA Aquasky Moonlights

20200718_140726.jpg

Twinstar 600s

Its quite a subtle difference in the photo due to my crappy camera, much more decernable in person. The colours from the twinstar do appear more pronounced, well it dose to me anyway, but might be because I recently purchased it 😅, thou do prefer the look of the led over my original ADA unit.

Last edited:
Hello London Dragon, I have been following your journal, let me first say what a lovely scape and inspirational journal. I was wondering how you mixed all this ferts and not end them reacting with one another. As I discovered when you mix mirco and macro fert it goes very cloudy 🤔.
I first add the Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate and mix those two well, then I add the trace elements and mix that well again, then add the rest one by one mixing each as I add them. Never had any issues in the past and now its even easier with my magnetic stirrer, I have to post a video in regards to the magnetic stirrer! :)

I first add the Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate and mix those two well, then I add the trace elements and mix that well again, then add the rest one by one mixing each as I add them. Never had any issues in the past and now its even easier with my magnetic stirrer, I have to post a video in regards to the magnetic stirrer! :)
Hiya London dragon, thank you for sharing your method and recipe, I think it great if you could share video, I think a few of us would certainly find that very useful plus I have no ideal what a magnetic stirrer is 😁.

(in my defence, I’m certain he’s used the term “Jebao” more than once ;))
Jecod/Jebao are the exact same company; as I understand it Jebao are the original Asian based company but are known as Jecod in Europe - something along those lines anyway.
I was actually considering creating another post entry on my experience on using this dosing unit, once I got my head around the app, to help other who may be thinking of purchasing the same unit.
I think that's an excellent idea and one to link into the other thread about the D-D doser with very similar looks, maybe this isn't the place to post this but I will add in D-D have sole distribution rights in the UK of Jecod products so think this doser will likely always be known as a Jebao and only available to import which might clear up any confusion. (or make it more of a haze)
https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product-groups/jecod

I had to do my monthly maintenance last night, something that I dread abit, particularity the filter clean. I run ADA E600 filter which I dearly love the look of, but it is abit of nightmare to clean and priming it is particularity difficult, it took ages last night. Also doesn't provide suffient flow in my 60p hence why I have had to add an pump in the tank, I rather less equipment in the tank. It also not the quietest, as it right next to my desk.

20200720_070819.jpg

So considering replacing with something that is easier to maintain such as a Oase 350, the prefilter should make cleaning easier. Also as there a heater to i could get rid of the inline unit to give me more space in my cabinet.

Would an oase 600 be overkill on 60p, there isn't different in cost of filter (only £35) thou i would have to purchase much more filter media. 🤔 I recently saw a GreenAqua video where they suggested that they had a oase 600 filter on a 60p and it was by far their most stable tank.

I grateful for some advise.

Thank Jay, guess i will save the money and get the 350 unit then. Can I ask what filter media do you use? GreenAqua recommend Seachem's Matrix.

This lovely hobby of ours doesn't half cost a pretty penny😅.

Last edited:
Tank looking great, i have a 250 in my 45p and love the filyer so easy to clean, george farmer has had his 1200 running for 18 month or so and never opened the main compartment the pre filter is great highly recommended.

I have purchased a oase 600 for my aquascaper 900 and hope its strong enough but george did mention a newer stronger model coming soon may upgrade then. As for a 60p not sure but if green aqua use maybe be ok as i know whay you mean least if have bigger filter you have possibility to upgrade tank.

Looking great mate

Hiya London dragon, thank you for sharing your method and recipe, I think it great if you could share video, I think a few of us would certainly find that very useful plus I have no ideal what a magnetic stirrer is .
Totally agree i love the thought of one mix rather than 2 using EI a short vid or dedicated thread be great

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I used course foam on the bottom 2 trays alfafrog then fine foam and purigen on the top with the fine foams in the pre filter and just washed the pre filter weekly with maintenance

Georger farmer just uses the media that comes with the filters, i removed 1 large blue course sponge and added some seachem matrix in 1 tray and that was about all i did.

Plants do a lot of the filtering in planted tank i never know how much difference different media etc actually makes but the seachem matrix is meant to be very good and loads of surface area for beneficial bacteria.

Dean

Thanks Deano, thou scape doesn't quite look as nice now, as I had to trim the Rotala last night as was touching the surface. I had bin the cuttings thou as no room to fit. Thou have been left with quite few visible white leaves where I trimmed the stems, assume the bottom half was being shaded by the leaves above. Do you think these will recover?

20200720_094850.jpg

As for a 60p not sure but if green aqua use maybe be ok as i know whay you mean least if have bigger filter you have possibility to upgrade tank.
🤣 I wish, my misses is giving me abit grief about time and money I spend on this one already.

Last edited:
I had to do my monthly maintenance last night, something that I dread abit, particularity the filter clean. I run ADA E600 filter which I dearly love the look of, but it is abit of nightmare to clean and priming it is particularity difficult, it took ages last night. Also doesn't provide suffient flow in my 60p hence why I have had to add an pump in the tank, I rather less equipment in the tank. It also not the quietest, as it right next to my desk.

View attachment 152311

So considering replacing with something that is easier to maintain such as a Oase 350, the prefilter should make cleaning easier. Also as there a heater to i could get rid of the inline unit to give me more space in my cabinet.

Would an oase 600 be overkill on 60p, there isn't different in cost of filter (only £35) thou i would have to purchase much more filter media. 🤔 I recently saw a GreenAqua video where they suggested that they had a oase 600 filter on a 60p and it was by far their most stable tank.

check the aquael ultramax series:) , the ultramax 1000 or 1500 would be great for your 60p.

got the 2000 for my 80p and actually run it On dark start, quiet, powerful, easy to clean and cheaper than the oase. :)

Thank you london dragon for post vidoe, that was very informative and quite interesting that you set it so that it mixed the solution before it dosed.

Looks like I will be pickup another toy .

Can ask where you get hold of the following Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate ?
I am also very intered this this method of only 1 mix if it isnt to much hastle i will have a read through that thread soon thanks paulo

View attachment 152311

Would an oase 600 be overkill on 60p, there isn't different in cost of filter (only £35) thou i would have to purchase much more filter media. I recently saw a GreenAqua video where they suggested that they had a oase 600 filter on a 60p and it was by far their most stable tank.

It’s easy to prime a ADA filter.
Place outlet pipe in aquarium.
Then you suck on the outlet tube with the Lilly pipe off.
When you see water come up the outlet tubing you put the Lilly pipe on and start the filter.
Is that a rubber mat under the filter? Since the filter is heavy not made of plastic. You need to have a good mat under the filter as vibration to the stand can make noise. It’s an easy fix with vibration

Back