• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Eruption'

Well I thought I had best put some up to date photos on, they are not the best quality and CO2 was on at the time I took them. I have a few days holiday now so will concentrate on getting some better quality ones added this week.

I did a 2.5hr maintenance session on Friday after work and decided to remove the moss from around the front rock areas and tweak the smaller pieces of wood - I think it looks allot better and a bit more natural looking too. Overall I am a little bit more happier about this scape now... it is in no way perfect though! I feel I am still learning allot with this set up, along with the lighting system, it is completely different to what I learnt on my old corner scapes.... and a little bit out of my comfort zone. I already have a few ideas whizzing around my head for another scape, but I will let this run a while longer yet and see if I can learn a bit more before moving on.

10121848483_ef44aae895_o.jpg
DSC_1374 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

10121677044_4185134548_o.jpg
DSC_1373 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

10121862253_5a7401061e_o.jpg
DSC_1372 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
Croaking Gourami - I added 6 of these and love um! I have heard them croaking and its quite a fascinating sound coming from such a tiny fish.
10121764676_269114f32a_o.jpg
DSC_1389 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
5 Banded Barb.
10121717545_b2ce6672fe_o.jpg
DSC_1383 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

Stunning scape, love this one, reminds me of the one Edis did for the first Aquatics Live, this is something I would love top try in the future also :) congrats :clap: :clap:

Stunning scape, love this one, reminds me of the one Edis did for the first Aquatics Live, this is something I would love top try in the future also :) congrats :clap: :clap:
Thanks Paulo :thumbup:
Really looks the biz Gary, well done...nice to see a Crinum making an appearance!
Cheers Ian, yeah I thought I would give the Crinum a go, I wanted to try one in the Trigon, but was not able to get a decent one at the time.... it will probably get to big for this scape though! :(

amazing scape love the pics keem em coming, what maintenance do you do Gary water chance wipe glass with clock and stones and wood etc with brush and trim ?

Dean

amazing scape love the pics keem em coming, what maintenance do you do Gary water chance wipe glass with clock and stones and wood etc with brush and trim ?

Dean
Cheers Dean, yes I'm hoping to get some better ones taken this week now that I've a bit more time to play about with my camera.
My maintenance is nothing really special, I do a 50% water change once a week and as it's draining I use an old credit card to wave around the bottom to create a gentle current to dislodge any waste and hover it up, along with a glass clean... I check the plants are ok and remove anything that does not look so good. Only recently I used a hard bristle tooth brush on the rocks.... I think this will be a monthly task though, rather than weekly though. I tend to leave the wood alone as I prefer it to have a few bits of green on as I think it looks more natural and gives it the aged look.
Moss on the wood is tidied up every 2 weeks were it needs it, again siphoning up trimmings. I normally clean my filter weekly the day before all the above happens, so when I do the tank clean the filter is all done and good to go - it's all a bit regimented and the mrs looks at me gone out sometimes, but it works and only takes me around 45 - 60 minutes.

Cheers Dean, yes I'm hoping to get some better ones taken this week now that I've a bit more time to play about with my camera.
My maintenance is nothing really special, I do a 50% water change once a week and as it's draining I use an old credit card to wave around the bottom to create a gentle current to dislodge any waste and hover it up, along with a glass clean... I check the plants are ok and remove anything that does not look so good. Only recently I used a hard bristle tooth brush on the rocks.... I think this will be a monthly task though, rather than weekly though. I tend to leave the wood alone as I prefer it to have a few bits of green on as I think it looks more natural and gives it the aged look.
Moss on the wood is tidied up every 2 weeks were it needs it, again siphoning up trimmings. I normally clean my filter weekly the day before all the above happens, so when I do the tank clean the filter is all done and good to go - it's all a bit regimented and the mrs looks at me gone out sometimes, but it works and only takes me around 45 - 60 minutes.

thanks for that gary very helpful, always curious about what everyone does as no one really mentions it, i think my next scape is going to be similar a island scape i really like them and urs in a beauty, looking forward to pics mate

Dean

such a pedantic look :)
love the scape. I'll keep quite better about y'r
fancy things in cabinet. lol. lovely setup

Hiya
Could you point me where did you get these dosing bottles from? I am looking to buy few of them for my ferts.

Regards
Lukasz

Hiya
Could you point me where did you get these dosing bottles from? I am looking to buy few of them for my ferts.

Regards
Lukasz
Hi Lukasz, I bought them off eBay a while ago now, they came from HK and we're not expensive from what I remember - to be honest they are very similar to the 500ml ADA ones.

Really like the improvements you made, small tweaks but they make a huge difference and add to the natural feeling. Good call to remove the mossy rocks at the front I think as they made it look a bit 'square'.
It's looking really beautiful!

Hey Gary,
Interested to see how this tank is doing?

How are the Maxspect R420R's ( Always takes me ages to write that, as I have to remember what number resembles what letter :lol: ) Performing?
Are you getting good healthy plant Growth? What Colour temperature are your lights? are they the 10k?

Cheers,
Nathaniel

Hey Gary,
Interested to see how this tank is doing?

How are the Maxspect R420R's ( Always takes me ages to write that, as I have to remember what number resembles what letter :lol: ) Performing?
Are you getting good healthy plant Growth? What Colour temperature are your lights? are they the 10k?

Cheers,
Nathaniel

Hi Nath, yes the light is great... the one I have is the 8000K model, which I've found is just right and plants are responding well so far, although I'm not running them at full power - I've a 7hr light period at 60% with a 2hr burst to 80% in the middle of the 7hrs.

The only thing I have noticed is a tiny lack of light spread over my tank, so I'm considering getting a light stand.... Although this still has to be finally approved by the gaffer! (The mrs)

Back