• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Erythromycin for BGA treatment

Themuleous

I've got a very stubborn case of BGA in my work tank that won't shift so I'm going to get some Erythromycin. Not the planted tank way of doing things, but I know it'll work. I can get 60 250mg tablets from the USA. If anyone else is interested, let me know, I'll never use 60 tables so happy to split it with a few people if needs be.

Sam

What have you done to try and rectify the cause mate?

All the normal things! Well mostly black out combined with a good tank clean. It could be flow, but the tanks been run for years now and its only started in the last few month so I doubt its a flow problem. Could I guess just be the age of the tank, if I had time a compete strip down and clean would probably solve it, but I really dont have time at the moment.

Sam

Blackouts work 100% if done correctly. Things like bin liners do let a small amount of light so you have to make sure no light at all gets into the tank. If BGA comes back after a blackout the chances are it'll come back after using anti biotics as well.

James

You could have a drop in filter flow? have you given it an overhaul?
Extra nitrates work well too, i know you've upped NO3 before, you could try that combined with good flow.
A small powerhead may also help, directed so that flow was rushing past it but not directly hitting it?

There are some pretty serious restrictions over the use of antibiotics over here and shipping them from the states would not be very legal I believe. To do it legally you'd need to get them from a vet over here and I don't think they'd prescribe them for an in-tank treatment.

FYI, they do work very well, we, the pill popping Pharm industry folks in the USA...............

Regards,
Tom Barr

you could alwasy try online
i hate the on line pharmacies because they are non regulated , i wouldnt be surprised if you can collect drugs without a prescription now days

and if they want a prescription a lot of them have downloadable forms that just need a signature in

andrew
they manage to sell drugs including postage and packing cheaper than i can source them wholesale...

Back