• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Erythromycin

anthutch

Seedling
After battling against a very stubborn and resiliant case of BGA, I was wondering what peoples experience was of using Erythromycin.
Has anybdy got any tablets that that woud be willing to sell as i can't seem to find any for sale in the UK and i know that others have had lots of problems trying to import from the US.

Thanks

Anthony

hiya, i've not heard of or used Erythromycin but could you tell us what already you've done to try and eradicate the BGA?

Antibiotics are controlled more strictly over here than the states and importing them is not very legal! The only legal way to get them is to find a vet that will prescribe them and AFAIK they are advised not to prescirbe except for individual animals, not tank/pond wide. Basically we can't use them over here.

Well, you have to go through proper channels, it certainly does work, but the Vet's charge for it and getting it for you.
A lot of folks in our political system have their coffers from the drug companies, so it's available without any paperwork or regulation.

Such policies worked great for the banking, insurance, auto and home loan industry :rolleyes:
Greed.

It does not kill the gram negative species so the filters are fine with it.
3 day blackouts and good KNO3 dosing will kill it and cost nothing also.
Clean tank real well, get any muck, dead spots, cleaned up etc.
Clean filter, then do a 50% water chnage and remove as much of the BGA as you can, then shut off CO2, light, cover tank(trash bag etc, so that no light gets in), add KNO3, wait 3 days remove and add light/CO2 back and keep dosing the KNO3 good.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back