• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

eSHa Protolon 707

CJM70

Does anyone use this? And have you had any success? I have some that came with a tank I bought and I am gradually working my way through stuff to either keep or sell.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_094947.jpg
    IMG_20220115_094947.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
Hi @CJM70

I tried to find out about the active ingredients in Protolon 707 by searching for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS or just SDS) - to no avail. Did the instructions that were supplied with Protolon 707 disclose the active ingredient(s)? It's far better to avoid treatments, if possible. Keep or sell? It's entirely up to you. The expiry date may be worth checking.

JPC

Expiry fine. Here are some pics of box and info sheet. Unsurprisingly no details of what it actually is. But if you are interested in half you could always contact them. I might talk to to Mark J who is based over there and see if he knows anything about it or has tried it, or if he wants me to post it over for him to test out 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_221343.jpg
    IMG_20220115_221343.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220115_221331.jpg
    IMG_20220115_221331.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20220115_221323.jpg
    IMG_20220115_221323.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
It's annoying that they won't disclose the ingredients of this but I strongly suspect copper is involved in there somewhere as a friend on facebook dosed her tank with it and the loaches reacted very badly.
Hi @MirandaB

In that case, I'd like to suggest that one of your words above, 'annoying' be replaced with the word 'irresponsible'. :thumbdown:

Clearly, a company to avoid.

JPC

Hi @MirandaB

In that case, I'd like to suggest that one of your words above, 'annoying' be replaced with the word 'irresponsible'. :thumbdown:

Clearly, a company to avoid.

JPC

Unfortunately, it is not just them that keeps their formulas hidden, a lot of companies either don't state or hide it well enough that most people wouldn't find it.

Esha does make some good products/meds though, but it would be nice to know what you are dosing.

Unfortunately, it is not just them that keeps their formulas hidden, a lot of companies either don't state or hide it well enough that most people wouldn't find it.
Hi @Nick potts

I am unclear about the legislation around aquatic products. For example, Seachem, an American company appears to issue a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) with some, if not all of their relevant products. From recollection, the product, Renew even has an MSDS and it's just a filter medium. Having said this, any responsible company producing products for the aquatics market should know full well that copper is one of the most toxic heavy metals to all aquatic life - even at a very low concentration.

JPC

Hi again, @MirandaB and @CJM70

That's one of the reasons why I find it useful to be able to test for copper. However...

...pretty much nails it down.

JPC
This is interesting. I inherited this stuff along with loads of other extras with a fish tank that I had purchased recently. The owner of the tank had a planted aquarium with shrimps and snails in. He didn't report any problems.

I don't have a copper test kit unfortunately or I would put some in water and try it out.

Hi Everyone,

Following on from above, I just want to give an example of what I was waffling on about. The following link is the 'Home' page for Seachem Cupramine:

In the drop-down list at the top of the page, click on 'Resources > Safety Data Sheets (SDS). In the list, select 'Cupramine'. And, finally, in Section 3, it lists one component - Copper Sulfate

Simple, as I believe a TV ad says/used to say!

BTW, I am not a Seachem employee!

JPC

For example, Seachem, an American company appears to issue a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) with some, if not all of their relevant products.
Seachem are notorious for withholding information regards what's in their products. Admittedly they often produce saftey data sheets, but frequently they hide the actual contents claiming "trade secrets"

Saftey data sheet for prime.
Screenshot_20220116-202124_Chrome.jpg

Saftey data sheet for excel.
Screenshot_20220116-202031_Chrome.jpg

Personally I think the protolon 707 is probably ~
Clark_Stanley's_Snake_Oil_Liniment.png

Seachem are notorious for withholding information regards what's in their products. Admittedly they often produce saftey data sheets, but frequently they hide the actual contents claiming "trade secrets"
Hi @John q

Yes, we've mentioned this several times on UKAPS. Frustrating, isn't it? Having said this, if there were safety implications, I guess even the "trade secrets" would be made available by some means. No, that wouldn't work, would it? Perhaps anything that is considered a 'trade secret' can be kept this way because the chemicals in this category do not present a potential safety hazard? I'm just thinking out loud. Please ignore me if I'm talking rubbish!

JPC

Back