• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Evaporated water; tap water or osmosis water to refill?

mede

I have an open aquarium and now the weather is changing (dry), the water evaporates more quickly then before.

As I have osmosis water available I was wondering if it is better to use osmosis water to refill evaporated water, or can I just use my tap water that I also use during my water changes?

I was just wondering if one has more benefits then the other?

Had the same problem myself over the summer months the tank water was getting close to 32c. On some days I refilled about 1 to 2 ltrs, used normal tap water left standing from the night before. Not sure if that helped much but to be on the safe side I did a partial water change in the week to help with the tds. You could also use a fan as this will help lower the temp of your water.

Thanks all!

I have ro water available, so I'm going to use this for refilling my tank. Interesting to know that it has influence on the TDS.

Thanks all!

I have ro water available, so I'm going to use this for refilling my tank. Interesting to know that it has influence on the TDS.

Its been a long time since I did chemistry but I belive that when the water evapourates it is just pure water. Therefore it leaves all the chemicals behind. Therefore you have the same amount of chemicals that make up the TDS but in less water. Therefore the concentration (TDS) has increased. RO water with zero or little TDS balances this back out again.

To keep the math simple lets just say you have a tank with a TDS of 200 and half the water has evapourated. The tank TDS is then increased to 400. If you add tap water with a TDS of 200 back to the tank you will then have a TDS of 300 (400+200)/2. So higher than the starting point. If you add Ro water the TDS will revert to 200 (400+0)/2.

Back