• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Evaporation?

hi,
i have a 240l open top tank and at the moment its probably losing around 10l's a week to evaporation.

i'm wandering if i should be using RO water to top up? as if i top up with tap water or just wait and refill at next water change, wont the gh and kh steadily increase?
my tap water is moderatly hard with a kh of 8

By topping up with tap water the mineral content of the aquarium water will gradually increase, like you suggest.

Large (50%+ every 2 weeks or more frequent) water changes should prevent excess an excess build-up.

If large water changes aren't an option then topping with RO may be necessary, although most plants and fish will readily adapt to a gradually increasing hardness, within reason.

i've just gone from two 50% changes per week down to one 50% weekly water change.

so if i stick to this routine, evaporation and the resulting tds increase wont be and issue? thats good to know!

thanks

10 litres a week!!!!!!!! :wideyed: :wideyed:

Wow thats serious evapouration.

I've never had an opentopped tank and didn't realise that they could lose that much water. Thats a serious eye opener for me, where does it all go? You must suffer from a lot of condensation or use a room dehumidifier. I don't think that I will ever look at open topped tanks in the same light again.

chris1004 said:
10 litres a week!!!!!!!! :wideyed: :wideyed:

Wow thats serious evapouration.

I've never had an opentopped tank and didn't realise that they could lose that much water. Thats a serious eye opener for me, where does it all go? You must suffer from a lot of condensation or use a room dehumidifier. I don't think that I will ever look at open topped tanks in the same light again.

Thats over 2.5 gallons per week - I would say that there is a leak somewhere :!: :!:, if you are concerned regarding the amount of fluid loss, buy some clear perspex and cut it to suit your top and place in position - that should reduce some evaporation.

Regards
Paul.

Rather than a leak, IMHO I'd hazard a guess that the Barons lights are close to the water surface, that would increase levels of evaporation.

I lose about 10Ltrs a week from my 125Ltr. Its not that much really. and my lights are 15" above the water!!!

I think its more about the difference in temperature of the water and the ambient temperature.

AC

I add about 10l per week to my open topped 240l, and the walls in the house are bone dry. 8) I do have a fair amount of surface disturbance, which probably increases the rate of evaporation.

Dave.

I lose what seems to be 1ltr a day in evaporation, when I'm away for the weekend the livingroom windows are covered in condensation.
It doesn't help I've got a fair bit of surface movement and the lights are closeish to the surface.
If I keep on top of it each day it's not too bad, but say if I left it for a week then the water would be down to the spray bar.

do you guys top up with RO or are you not worried about that?

i don't get condensation on any window, patio door is often open tho.

i guess air humidity/flow and the water/air temps would be the main factors driving evaporation.
ah, and surface area!

from what you guys say tho my loss is pretty normal.

A jug or 2 of tap water for me too. I don't get condensation in my house from it. Maybe my house temp is lower? Around the 17-18ºC mark. I also have those little open/close slit thingamys at the top of the windows which are open all year round. I believe that may be a key factor to the no condensation.

AC

i've noticed over the course of a two week period another down side to evaporation, the spray bar disturbs the water more as water levels drop so co2 levels therefore decrease as the week goes on!

so daily top ups for me now!

kinda obvious really tho i guess, it appears i'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes!!! :0/

Themuleous said:

Has your tank recovered from that slight oversight yet?

Because i'm still fiddlin daily with my set up, tweaking and checking, i managed to avoid having any problems from it happenin, thankfully!

Remember what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger........or so they say.
I've always thought maybe they didnt consider polio tho! ;)

Yeh, the ottos and snails sorted the brown algae issue. I'll be ripping the tank apart again soon so it doesn't really matter anyway!

baron von bubba said:
Remember what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger........or so they say.
I've always thought maybe they didnt consider polio tho! ;)

Yeh, what about HIV? That doesn't kill you per se, other things do!

Sam

im happy to just top up my tank, but always think surely evaporation isnt good for a room, the moisture levels and what have you. does it create damp, and has anyone had bad experiences of damage to their room becuase of the evaporation from tanks?

Back