• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Everyone is right ...

Well ... got my Christmas Gift. The framework is only a piece of the puzzle.

My current set up has emersed growth and the prediction for plant forms under CO2/light "unlimited" conditions was "flawed"

1640354124750.png

Super long internodes, lots of side shoots, ... it's growing like an EI plant under lean N/P. But there are roots ... and there is soil ... and there is decay (nutrient source) and LOADS of CO2 and light.

Forgot that this thing is alive.

The new framework:

Living thing model:
Assumption: the plant wants to survive

The plant uses
1) the nutrient acquisition model, and
2) genetic pre-disposition

To make choices that support the assumption! Seems obvious (the extended internodes above are succession planning).

We can further see this if you let a dutch tank grow out with lots of species (in my previous case was about 35+ species in the tank), the length of internodes, "how straight it grows vs. horizontal to send shoots and outcompete surrounding plants", leaf size, leaf color, etc etc. Don't have photos but recall noticing plant forms change as "surrounding plants grew in" <-- we can say oh it's obvious flow patterns and co2 availability and light -->

but it's naive: chicken egg? Neither -- when you attribute flow/co2/light, you accredit yourself. When you use the living thing model, you accredit the plant.

The irony is when you give the plant the credit it deserves, we can now explain why rotalas go horizontal under "high light conditions" --> you all know what I am talking about (succession planning! Like clockwork, the plant sends side shoots within a "time period" of doing that!!!!!!!)

a parrallel: The nutrient acquisition model is what society gives you. The genetic predisposition is what your parents give you. Between the two of those, you are "geared" to make choices in life ... if you do something that you "shouldn't" have been able to do (rags to riches example - just one example and extreme), then you are an emodiment of evolution.

So, I haven't had coffee with a plant, but I think it is safe to say that:
1) The plant - with the nutrient acquisition model - surveys what nutrients it can readily access from it's "home" and
2) The plant - with its genetic predisosition - is given a series of tools that it can use to cope with conditions that stray to far from an "optimal" (defined as the "perfect set of conditions for the plant to grow" <-- though I think this concept is flawed as the by the nature of time, motion, and inertia, the plant will only thrive in a dynamic system -- the only reason these plants are here today is because they thrive under stress ... the weak were outcompeted).
3) It takes the information from 1), and assesses the current situation with the tools of 2), and voilla makes a choice!

Under N/P limited conditions, we get compact growth with minimal side shoots -- I reckon under HIGH HIGH HIGH CO2 with rich substrate, the plant would probably get large internodes and loads of side shoots -- because the plant is creating a solar hub where it can gain an energy capital ... until it has enough to make an investment.

Sorry to say ... everyone + a few more people are right.

:)
Josh

Ps and example of genetic predisposition could be the unique amount of energy required per unit of Nitrogen in the system … or a unique “EI” per species … for example Anubis can only grow so fast so it may look unaffected under 50pppm nitrate vs say Macrandra under the same conditions.

Last edited:
Hi @JoshP12

Good to see you back online!

Now, I have to be honest and say that I am not familiar with either the "Living thing model" or the "Nutrient Acquisition Model". But, I recognize a beautiful, healthy plant when I see one!

Happy Christmas!

JPC

Hi @JoshP12

Good to see you back online!

Now, I have to be honest and say that I am not familiar with either the "Living thing model" or the "Nutrient Acquisition Model". But, I recognize a beautiful, healthy plant when I see one!

Happy Christmas!

JPC

I made them up! Lol

Nutrient acquisition model is in this thread from the get go. Living thing model is the new and improved!

Merry Christmas John :). Great to see you too.

Well ... got my Christmas Gift. The framework is only a piece of the puzzle.

My current set up has emersed growth and the prediction for plant forms under CO2/light "unlimited" conditions was "flawed"

dsc00876-24-dec-jpg.jpg

Heres my emersed growth -the Polygnum 'Sao Paolo' is sprouting a huge amount of sideshoots and has outcompeted Ludwigia "Super Red" by being taller and shading the Ludwigia
Thats nature for you, plants want to colonise as much surface area as possible?

Forgive me if I have missed something during this thread, but I wanted to ask how do rhizome plants (or basically any plant with only water around the roots and not substrate), fit into this @JoshP12
Ive been keeping an eye on the development of the theories lately but to be honest some of it makes my head spin a little bit so may have missed things.
It seems stemplant focused, which is fine of course, it just leaves me with questions about the rhizome plants.

My other question is, would you say that inert substrates are not viable for using this method?
Are none of our aquarium plants growing in relatively inert sand/gravel in the wild?

If possible, could you put it in as simple terms as you can?
Im not trying to be impolite, just curious and genuinely want to understand 😊

Forgive me if I have missed something during this thread,
Hi Hufsa!! No worries at all. Brain just dumps it all out so surely it can be clarified.
but I wanted to ask how do rhizome plants (or basically any plant with only water around the roots and not substrate), fit into this
Would utilize water column ferts exclusively.

If the roots get access to any form of substrate, then they can start pulling. I've placed epiphytes in different locations and had some with roots in and some out and over a long period of time, you can see the differences. Generally, these epiphytes are the least sensitive as have probably adapted to having to do this more often. But they also grip pretty intensely (ripping anubias off wood isn't so simple compared to a stem) -- so once they establish they seem to "figure it out and deal".
@JoshP12
Ive been keeping an eye on the development of the theories lately but to be honest some of it makes my head spin a little bit so may have missed things.
Me too.
It seems stemplant focused, which is fine of course, it just leaves me with questions about the rhizome plants.
I think the best way to put it is plants get nutrients from substrate and the column. The "state" (ratios balance etc etc) of the medium (substrate or column) in conjunction with the plants ability to moderate intake (and the symbiosis with bacterial conditions) will determine if the plant can obtain the nutrients required for growth in proper proportions.

First part is Coulomb
Second part is evolution
Third part is Leidbig

** If only water column, then all the same applies but only to water column (so if a plant genetically struggles with the column due to the nature of it, then your conditions need to be so bang on that they compensate for the inability for the plant to moderate intake) -- in other words, the substrate and water column give you two roads for success - together we have the highest chance of meeting with success -- with only one road (the column), you need to cater the conditions perfectly for that plant (like someone who is picky for dinner, you need to cook for them exactly what they like or they starve (just pretend) .. and now suppose they can't eat solids, you need to make even more accomodations to their food acquisition to suit their needs <--- THIS is like saying low Nitrate in column prevents forced metabolism (unique to the plant -- harder plants need higher sugar demands), neccesarily higher CO2 demand -- so we blend their food to make life easier.).
My other question is, would you say that inert substrates are not viable for using this method?
It is viable contingent on **. In inert, more water changes and dose targets to the column. If I was doing an inert aquascape, I'd make perfect water at perfect targets that I want (this is going to be determined by experiment/experience ... tried and true GH 5 etc),

If you change 80% water, then put 80% of your targets back. And micro daily.

In some ways, it may be easier if you know your plants and how they respond to water column fertilization. You just fill it up to perfect water, do a water change - top up the targets - go from there.
Are none of our aquarium plants growing in relatively inert sand/gravel in the wild?
Hmmm ... don't know. But their roots probably have access to some form of nutrients. In any case, if it isn't in the substrate, it's in the water. And any decomposition in substrate will feed the roots via bacteria etc.
If possible, could you put it in as simple terms as you can?
Im not trying to be impolite, just curious and genuinely want to understand 😊
No offense taken :). Will clarify anything.

***think it's important to say that the concept of root feeders vs column feeders was "debunked" but the concept was never fleshed out. An example is instructions. I can read. I can listen. I can do both things and can learn the instructions in both ways. I might be better equipped (just pretend) to listen than read but that doesn't mean that if I had to read, I won't make due - I'll get the instructions, but you could have made my life easier (and saved time, maybe prevented a melt down (see what I did there - plants melting ;) )) by reading them to me.

EDIT: I also could be wrong :) ... but I can't find a counterexample or an observation or a statement that can't be justified with this thinking. If we find one, then we can re-evaluate the framework to fit it in.

Last edited:
Back