• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Consistency Deficiency

I'm going to stick with "some" or "none", mainly because I'm happy with <"bumping along the bottom"> and I'm never going to see the <"sunlit uplands"> that @Roland etc <"inhabit">.
But I think if the user is wanting to get to sunlit uplands / where Roland is, then it might not be quite enough precision 😊

Im all for different strokes for different folk though 😃👍
There's still nothing quite as relaxing as a casual low tech tank imo

I thought DTPA was rather rapidly broken down by exposure to light?
Under UV light, almost most of the chelate breaks down. Blue spectrum will have similar effects but not to the same level as UV. DTPA is quite stable under rich blue spectrum, atleast you can go without dosing for one week while using DTPA Fe, the same isn't true for EDTA Fe. Either way they both will be affected by the Blue spectrum, EDTA at much faster rate, DTPA at much slower rate, neither will survive the UV.

Nah man ill make my own micros - with blackjack and hookers 😎
Haha @Hufsa, Thats hilarious! :lol:

1689358199874.png

Cheers,
Michael

I thought DTPA was rather rapidly broken down by exposure to light?

Blue spectrum will have similar effects but not to the same level as

. Either way they both will be affected by the Blue spectrum
@Happi If you ever stop growing plants consider a political career. Lol.
Answer the question. Do modern led lights (rich in the blue spectrum) break down dtpa cleated Fe)
A simple yes or no will suffice 😀

Hi all,

But that is just because you are now trying to actually work out the <"interactions between nutrients">.

I'm going to stick with "some" or "none", mainly because I'm happy with <"bumping along the bottom"> and I'm never going to see the <"sunlit uplands"> that @Roland etc <"inhabit">.

cheers Darrel

The significance of micro dosing is still intuitively beyond my grasp in many ways... Ok, I get the Fe and Mn bits. But when we roll in on Mo, Zn, Cu, Ni and to some extent B, I am not quite sure I understand the importance either way. Just as an example of the bits I’m struggling with; for instance, using 0.1 Fe as a proxy, Tropica gives you 0.0028 ppm Mo... thats 2.8 parts per billion. Thats homeopathic amounts. Equvialent to say dissolving 0.5 milligrams of NaCl into 100 liters of water!! Or like 12 grams into an Olympic sized swimming pool of 2.5 million liters of water… think about that for a moment… You can literally introduce an unknown substance in that amount just by sticking your hands into the tank (like soap residue lol)… or having pollen flying in through an open window and enter the tank… I often wonder if it wouldn’t be way more interesting to investigate the effects of all the compounds we take on as collateral in relative super excessive amounts such as sulphate (SO4) or Chloride (Cl)…
Also, no one really ever talks about Si or Na which are also considered micro nutrients and readily found in natural water ways at the ppm level… anyway, I’m just a bit perplexed due to lack of understanding I assume ;) … but I get the some vs none that Darrel is talking about… and I think he is mostly right as it relates to the messiness of the physical world. Sorry for clogging up @Hufsa’s journal with my ramblings.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
The significance of micro dosing is still intuitively beyond my grasp

Used to refer to a bizarre, confusing, or nonsensical situation or environment, typically one from which it is difficult to extricate oneself.
"he'll continue fearmongering to promote his agenda no matter how far down the rabbit hole it takes him"
Enjoy 😉

@Happi If you ever stop growing plants consider a political career. Lol.
Answer the question. Do modern led lights (rich in the blue spectrum) break down dtpa cleated Fe)
A simple yes or no will suffice 😀
Used to refer to a bizarre, confusing, or nonsensical situation or environment, typically one from which it is difficult to extricate oneself.
"he'll continue fearmongering to promote his agenda no matter how far down the rabbit hole it takes him"
Enjoy 😉
a1c.jpg

John do you need to take a small break? 🙃

View attachment 208120
The Pantanal and Meta are grumpy in the mornings, can you see the tops looking sort of frowny 😅
In the picture its most visible on the Meta, the Pantanal was looking angrier when I woke up about an hour ago, but has come around a little since then.
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata types are such strange plants :geek:
I was gonna share an updated pic of the Meta (orangy bushy plant to the right) some hours later when it was no longer grumpy..
But instead I got photobombed and made this entirely pointless picture series :thumbup: (Im sorry/Youre welcome)

20230714_164829 2.jpg

20230714_164831 2.jpg

20230714_165403 2.jpg

20230714_165426.jpg

I dont think I will ever get tired of their stupid little cute faces 🥰
20230714_165445.jpg

20230714_165456.jpg

The tanks look great, I really need to start keeping Corydoras hastatus again.
They're the best cory! 😍 (Not at all biased 😁) 🥰
Boraras brigittae are pretty dang nice little fishies too, I dont usually like the "tetra types" but they hold a special place in my heart. Theres just no mean bone in their bodies?
I'm not trying to <"derail your search for perfection"> but I'd be pretty happy with that, and I'd guess the same would apply to 99% of our members.
Thats the thing Darrel, I am very happy with my tank right now 🥰
Its really relaxing sitting down to watch the fish have their meal every day 😊
I even got a new little cushion footstool thing so I can sit at just the right height to watch them, the floor was too low and the nearby chairs are too high for good viewing.
Reading about plants and twiddling around with fertilizer is something I also enjoy though, so I dont see why I cant do both!? :geek:
As long as im enjoying myself right, its not like its hurting anyone else? 🙂
Its not a sort of desperate search for perfection, its more of a hobby of seeing how far I can get, while enjoying the ride along the way :thumbup:
I realise not everyone's idea of a good time is reading scholarly publications about something weird like Copper, but for me its really relaxing and peaceful, and something to funnel my never ending passion for stuff into 😊

I also thought earlier this year that perhaps I had reached the point where people tend to get tired of trimming their high tech planted tanks, but no, apparently that was just the algae.
I had gotten tired of trying to separate plants from algae for hours every week just to have to do the exact same thing again the next week.
But ive been just trimming plants again now (no thread algae), and I still enjoy it a lot. Managing the strange little underwater garden.
So the enjoyment of that hasnt worn off after all 😊

I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't buy a commercial trace element mix.
Based on my little business experience, I imagine the following:
1. Brands like Tropica buy individual chelated micros from fertilizer manufacturers for farmers, and blend them into their branded solutions.
2. Brands known as fertilizer manufacturers for farmers do not produce any compounds at all but purchase them from various manufacturers of chemicals, blend and re-pack them, and sell as their own. That's all those Made in Canada, Made in Norway, Made in the Netherlands, etc. But in fact ...
... 3. All manufacturers of simple chemicals, incl. chelated metals, are in China and India. Very few exceptions. (The situation looks very differently in the field of advanced, esp. organic chemicals. I imagine the Russians have had to realize it quite vividly, recently.)
A simple yes or no will suffice
In nature, the halftime of EDTA degradation is estimated at four weeks.
You can say YES to any simple question like this one. These chelated complexes always break down, somehow. Strong UV can break them pretty quickly. How strong? Test for yourself and be blessed. :)
or having pollen flying in through an open window and enter the tank… I often wonder if it wouldn’t be way more interesting to investigate the effects of all the compounds we take on as collateral in relative super excessive amounts such as sulphate (SO4) or Chloride (Cl)…
I'm using solely RO+DI water and never bother with molybdenum and nickel. Like you suggested, pollen is enough. Fish food, dust, impurities in chemicals add the rest. Tap water is usually full of micros, with the exception of iron (and manganese) which are removed by water processing companies.
My favourite argument: Nobody doses cobalt, right? And yet we face cyanobacteria more often than we like, in our tanks as well as in natural waters. For cyanobacteria, cobalt is an essential element. Quite rare element, actually.
Also, no one really ever talks about Si or Na
I do. I dose them experimentally for years. No tangible results to report about. I'm quite sorry for that. I'd love to discover SOMETHING BIG. :(

I'm using solely RO+DI water and never bother with molybdenum and nickel. Like you suggested, pollen is enough. Fish food, dust, impurities in chemicals add the rest.
Yes, good points; the impurities in the dry minerals we are using, none of them are more than 97-98% pure... what's the remaining 2-3% ? In gypsum for instance, it's such things as Silica, Cadmium, Fluorides, Manganese, Zinc, Chromium and other things.

Cheers,
Michael

the impurities in the dry minerals we are using, none of them are more than 97-98% pure... what's the remaining 2-3% ?
Speak for yourself, mine are all analytical grade (posh hair flip) 😉😂

Although that does remind me, I need to wash the insects that come in the windows in summer. Soak their feet, scrub a dub dub, make sure they're not lugging in all that darn pollen. Wouldn't want it messing with my experiments 😤

😂

Speak for yourself, mine are all analytical grade (posh hair flip) 😉😂
well that just makes it ACS grade 98% at best! (I think).

giphy.gif

Although that does remind me, I need to wash the insects that come in the windows in summer. Soak their feet, scrub a dub dub, make sure they're not lugging in all that darn pollen. Wouldn't want it messing with my experiments 😤
Hilarious! :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

@Hufsa , we miss you. Too hot a weather over there in Norway? Traveling somewhere? Hope you're all right. :) ... as well as your tank.
Im participating less on UKAPS and have stopped posting to my journal for an indeterminate period of time.
Im not keen to discuss the reasons here in the journal.

My tank is doing alright, much like always with something going on. But im not sure the journal will continue as before.

I was gonna share an updated pic of the Meta (orangy bushy plant to the right) some hours later when it was no longer grumpy..
But instead I got photobombed and made this entirely pointless picture series :thumbup: (Im sorry/Youre welcome)

View attachment 208191
View attachment 208192
View attachment 208193

View attachment 208194
I dont think I will ever get tired of their stupid little cute faces 🥰
View attachment 208195
View attachment 208196
dammmmn you have reignited my interest in having these micro Rasboras buddies. At the moment I keep telling myself that just focus on my dutch tank (that bloody carpet is finally spreading finger crossed), my foreseeable next project would be an attempt on ADA's nature style 30L cube - I am so getting chili rasboras for that 🤣

(and ya all the best, miss ya journal updates :))

Hi all,
Its definitely flower season here at HufsaCorp™.

View attachment 206054

Ive had two more flowers from the Bacopa Colorata, they are really beautiful 🥰

View attachment 206051
View attachment 206053
View attachment 206055

Once they start the process of opening, it happens quite quickly, and the pretty flowers sadly only last for about 2 days.
The plant of Bacopa caroliniana that my daughter, Megan, brought back from <"Roots and Shoots"> has just flowered. I keep on meaning to do something with the plants, but they've looked so healthy, so far that I've left them.

They've received the normal accurate occasional <"slosh of pale blue Solufeed"> and <"Diana Walstad's "aerial advantage">. The bowl had gone a bit green, but a couple of <"Physella acuta"> rectified that over night.

IMG_20230921_081850820_HDR.jpg

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back