• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ewww any ideas????

Gill

Any ideas what this could be. Just noticed it on one of the Amanos.
It has been separated from the tank. And is in isolation.

Attachments

• 20210722_114546.jpg
    20210722_114546.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 193
  • 20210722_114659(0).jpg
    20210722_114659(0).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 20210722_114554.jpg
    20210722_114554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
Any ideas what this could be. Just noticed it on one of the Amanos.
It has been separated from the tank. And is in isolation.
It looks like a parasite, but more knowledgeable members will know for sure...watching this one

That looks awful! :eek: I hope the salt bath works.

On the other hand that's a lovely pipefish and I'd love to see/hear more about that!!

Try giving the shrimp a salt bath, should detach
Its under the shell, so I am going to euthanise, but wondered what it was so posted on here. At 1st thought it was one of those limpets that tend to attach to fish scales.

That looks awful! :eek: I hope the salt bath works.

On the other hand that's a lovely pipefish and I'd love to see/hear more about that!!
It looks like a very bulbous bruise. very purple and red.

The Pipefish - I Love keeping them, but they are getting harder and harder to get hold of and their prices have gone up astronomically in the past few months.
These were £12 each where as they used to be £5-7 each. Short-tailed pipefish (Microphis brachyurus) . I have seen them online for upwards of £35 each, and the Indian Banded for Over £50.
They are hard to feed, so I will always watch them in the LFS if Possible and to see that there is food moving through their gut. As its very easy to see the black bits moving down the body.
They will eat Frozen foods - Brine,Mysis, glassworm, daphnia etc and Love Live Mozzie larvae. Which is why I leave buckets of old tank water in the garden to get filled with life for these types of fish and fry.
Sometimes they will pick at dry foods, but not very often.
I have had this species breed in the past, but at the time I did not realise they were expelling fry. And did not get to them in time and another pipe decided to eat them all as they were being expelled. I was feeding them Live Glassworms, and They Look just like the newly expelled fry.

Many Many Years ago, you could get them regularly from A5 Aquatics in Nuneaton. And you could keep them with mollies for live fry food as they are constantly prowling amongst the plants for fry,naupu=ali etc to eat.
There are some videos on online etc of them actively pulling eggs from female shrimps.

The Pipefish - I Love keeping them, but they are getting harder and harder to get hold of and their prices have gone up astronomically in the past few months.
These were £12 each where as they used to be £5-7 each. Short-tailed pipefish (Microphis brachyurus) . I have seen them online for upwards of £35 each, and the Indian Banded for Over £50.
They are hard to feed, so I will always watch them in the LFS if Possible and to see that there is food moving through their gut. As its very easy to see the black bits moving down the body.
They will eat Frozen foods - Brine,Mysis, glassworm, daphnia etc and Love Live Mozzie larvae. Which is why I leave buckets of old tank water in the garden to get filled with life for these types of fish and fry.
Sometimes they will pick at dry foods, but not very often.
I have had this species breed in the past, but at the time I did not realise they were expelling fry. And did not get to them in time and another pipe decided to eat them all as they were being expelled. I was feeding them Live Glassworms, and They Look just like the newly expelled fry.

Many Many Years ago, you could get them regularly from A5 Aquatics in Nuneaton. And you could keep them with mollies for live fry food as they are constantly prowling amongst the plants for fry,naupu=ali etc to eat.
There are some videos on online etc of them actively pulling eggs from female shrimps.
Thank you for all the info on them, they are stunning! It's great to hear that they eat frozen, I read somewhere they only eat live food like seahorses so were very difficult to keep.

Very tempting ..... one day... I hope they breed for you again, would love to see how that goes.

Back